Chapter 8: True Motives

Her eyes flew wide open. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that I have nothing to my name. Beyond my hwarang robes and my sword."

"But," she glanced around the opulent bedroom to which he'd brought her, "this room seems to say otherwise."

"This is my father's home," he pointed out truthfully, "and I am not his favored son."

She wrinkled her brow. "But...aren't you his only son now?"

"He refuses to give me anything."

"Where," she inhaled deeply as her heart began to race for a different reason, "are we going to live?"

"You may remain here," he muttered. "Apparently, my father and yours agreed upon this." He glanced around the room. "This will be your bedchamber, Mi Sook."

"My bedchamber?" she asked dubiously. She didn't understand what he was saying. "Where are you going to sleep?"

"At the hwarang house."

"What?" she gasped. "You won't be sharing this room with me?"

Why was her heart sinking?

"I will not. I cannot imagine that you want your privacy invaded by a crude soldier whom you barely know."

Confused, she stared up at him in alarm. Was he truly going to leave her here alone? With his father?

"But...why did you marry me if you weren't planning to live with me?"

His eyes pierced hers. "Why, to rescue you, of course."

Dumbfounded, she stared up at him. Stunned. "To rescue me?" she echoed his sentiment. Her confusion lit up her face with surprise.

He nodded. "From him."

"You planned to marry me merely to rescue me from my father?"

His eyes held hers, but he didn't speak.

"But...how did you know?"

The corners of his mouth lifted in a bitter smile. "Oh, my dear, I have always known."

Her eyes widened as she gazed at him. Astounded.

But...no one had ever known.

"You see?" he whispered. "You needn't fear that I'm going to hurt you tonight." He glanced around again. "I came with you this evening to ensure that you have everything you need. Before I head back to the hwarang house."

Truthfully, he had hoped to stay with her this night, at least. But it was now clear to him that he would not be touching her. Not now. Perhaps, not ever.

"You're not even going to stay with me tonight?" she queried in a tiny voice.

Astonished, he gazed down at her, searching for the truth of her feelings in the depths of her eyes. "You want me to stay with you tonight?" he breathed, stunned.

She evaded his question. "You are my husband. Shouldn't we get to know each other?"

"You want to get to know me? I thought you only married me to escape your father's reach."

It was true. Mostly.

But there was that one other motive that had pushed her to pursue a relationship with Han Sung's brother.

"Do you plan to abandon me then?" she questioned him abruptly.

He shrugged. "I guess that depends on your definition of abandon. I prefer to think of this arrangement as freeing you."