Chapter 24: A Fatherly Talk?

After Jung Sook left her, Mi Sook lay on her bed as the healing salve soaked into her skin and pondered all the things which her friend had told her. How had she so misunderstood his words earlier today? Was she completely losing her mind? Maybe her father had hit her in the head today and knocked part of her brain loose.

She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep and dreamt of Dan Se. She woke up longing for him. She glanced outside, and the sun was setting. She wondered if he had returned to the house yet. But she didn't want to move. Her body felt calmer. However, she knew that if she stretched, she would regret it. So she closed her eyes and remained immobile.

But a little while later, a knock sounded on her door.

"Come in!" she called.

A maid opened the door and brought her dinner in on a tray.

Disappointed, she directed the girl to leave it on the side table. As the maid shut the door behind her, Mi Sook frowned. She had hoped that Dan Se was standing on the other side of that door. Apparently, he had taken her words to heart. He clearly planned to leave her alone. Her heart sank. There was only one thing for it.

She climbed out of the bed and walked across the room. Then she knocked on the adjoining door. The one she shared with the next room. His new room.

But no one answered her knock. So she decided to eat some dinner. Before enacting Jung Sook's plan.

If Dan Se wouldn't come to her, then she would just have to go to him.

––

The moon was high in the sky by the time that he ventured upstairs. Utterly exhausted.

He hadn't wanted to lie in bed sleepless tonight. Without her. So he had avoided his new bed for as long as possible. He had even had a drink with his father. Not normal behavior for them. But it had been rather shockingly pleasant.

He had informed his father of the treatment that Mi Sook's father had given her this morning. And had told his appa in no uncertain terms that Lord Man was to be banned from ever entering his house again. If he couldn't live with that, then Dan Se had promised to take his wife elsewhere. Where she would be safe.

His father had surprised him by promising to bar her father from ever entering the premises again. When Dan Se had told him how badly Lord Man had beaten her, his father had looked a little green around the gills. And he had promised to protect her in her husband's absence.

Dan Se had then informed him that he would not be absent for a month. Unless the king changed his mind. Which, at this point, would probably be a good thing. Dan Se had no idea how he was going to occupy himself without his wife for the next month. Avoiding her felt ridiculous after all that the king had done to free him to spend his time with her. But Dan Se couldn't bring himself to face her again. He had no wish to upset her further.

He had stayed up late playing a rare game with his father.

"Do you have some fondness for the girl, Dan Se?" the older gentleman had finally asked him after downing several drinks.

Dan Se had glanced at him dispassionately. "Who, Appa?"

"Who?" he'd asked derisively. "Your wife, of course! What other girl is there to speak of?"

"I do not wish to speak of her any longer tonight," was all Dan Se had responded.

"Eh? What's this? Why don't you wish to speak of her now? You were quite keen on discussing her protective orders earlier. You even threatened to remove my only daughter-in-law from my house if I didn't agree to protect her. Clearly, you have some fondness for her."