Chapter 4: Released

He should release her.

From his arms. Right now. And turn and walk out the door.

He should release her.

From their engagement. It was the right thing to do. She did not deserve to be locked in his frigid cell with him.

Han Sung would not have wished such an existence upon his intended bride.

It was that thought that finally calmed Dan Se and moved him to act.

He drew away from her. But then as he gazed down at her neck, he realized that he had watered it with his tears. The top of her robe was wet now.

"I beg your pardon, Man Mi Sook," he bowed. Then he reached into his pocket and withdrew a clean handkerchief. He reached up and wiped his tears from her neck. "I am so sorry that I inflicted such a horrid display of emotion upon you."

She stared up at him. And found that she missed the comfort of his warm arms embracing her.

He bowed to her again. Then he slipped the handkerchief back into his pocket.

"I realize now that a marriage to me can only be repugnant to you. I will not hold you to our fathers' agreement. Please consider yourself released from any obligation to marry me. You must be free to choose your own husband."

She laughed bitterly then. "Clearly, if you think that I am free to choose my own husband, you have never met my father."

He blinked. Unsure of how to respond to such a statement.

"The only freedom I possess is in agreeing to marry you. At least, with you, I have some idea of what I am acquiring."

But...was that really true?

She had seen several shades of Dan Se's character today of which she had been completely ignorant an hour ago. The man was a mystery to her. But for a few episodes from their shared childhood. And she was beginning to wonder if she had interpreted even those in the wrong light.

"So," he furrowed his brow in confusion, "are you saying that you wish to marry me?"

"I am saying that I will marry you. One week from today."

At least, I'll be escaping from my father.

"Are you certain?" he queried, attempting one more time to give her an out.

"Absolutely," she responded crisply.

He nodded his head. "Once again, I apologize for my excess of emotion. I promise that it will not happen again."

"Please...do not make such a promise."

Stupefied, he stared at her. "What?"

"Your excess of emotion – as you call it – made you more real to me. And revealed that you do possess a heart." She paused for a moment. "In my experience, men do not possess hearts. So – by shedding your tears today – you have relieved much of the anxiety brought on by my pondering a marriage with you." Her voice was stilted. Unsure.

But her words struck their intended target. Surprise blanketing his face in a fresh light, he bowed to her again.

"Still, I am not in the habit of weeping."

"Perhaps you should be," she retorted softly.

"I beg your pardon?" he asked as he stood up straight and pierced her with his chocolate gaze.

"Your brother died in a most horrific accident at your hands. You have just passed the first year of mourning. Without mourning. You have an excess of grief built up on the inside of you. One crying spell is not going to be enough to relieve you of that excessive burden."

"I do not deserve to have that burden lifted."

She studied him dispassionately for a few silent moments. Then she shot another arrow at him.

"Is that what Han Sung would say?"