Chapter 29: The Fruit of His Labors

He was true to his word. Dan Se returned to her room a short while later with a tray laden with tempting foods.

"What's your favorite?" he queried as he set the tray down on her table.

"What?" she quizzed him as she rolled onto her right side to gaze up at him.

"Food. What's your favorite food?"

"I love fruit. Pretty much anything. Mangoes. Clementines. Grapes. Apples."

"Mmm." He glanced down at the tray. And grimaced. He noted the bowls of rice, kimchi, and vegetables. And the thinly sliced beef the cook had prepared for them. "I will be right back. I'm pretty sure that I saw some clementines and mangoes in the kitchen."

She glanced up in alarm. "Oh, no! Dan Se, that's all right. I'm not used to eating fruit for breakfast. It's just that I rarely enjoyed it at my father's house. He is not partial to sweets, and fruit was rarely served. This breakfast is just fine," she murmured as she gazed at the tray laden with savory foods.

"No, darling, we have fruit to spare. You shall have as much as you desire this morning."

She looked up at him sharply as she noted the tenderness in his tone and his use of the fond appellation darling. Her heart tumbled around in her chest. Could it be that she hadn't put him off yesterday? But how was that possible?

She was now looking forward to eating breakfast with him.

She watched as he slipped from her room. A couple of minutes later, a knock sounded on her door.

"Come in," she called. Assuming he had reverted to some semblance of formality, she was disappointed a moment later when a young maid entered the room, carrying a bowl full of various fruits.

Mi Sook's eyes grew wide as she took in that great bounty. "Good Lord! Does Dan Se think I can eat that entire bowl for breakfast?"

The girl's eyes were twinkling. "No, ma'am. He asked me to set it on your table. And told me to leave it here. So that you may enjoy fruit – and I'm quoting him, ma'am – 'whenever her dear heart desires.'" The girl sighed, "So romantic."

Mi Sook glanced up at her in surprise. "You think he's being romantic?"

"Do you like fruit, ma'am?" the girl asked instead of answering her question.

Mi Sook nodded. "I love fruit. It's my favorite food."

"Does he know that?"

"Yes. I just told him so."

"Ah, then yes, I find him very romantic." The girl glanced around the room. "Can I bring you anything else, ma'am?"

Mi Sook frowned. "Is not Dan Se returning soon?"

"I don't know, ma'am. He headed out the front door as I was coming your way."

"What?" Disappointed, Mi Sook frowned.

"Ma'am?"

"Oh. Um, can you bring me a glass of water?"

"Yes, ma'am." The girl bowed to her before leaving.

And Mi Sook had to face her disillusionment alone. She had thought that she and Dan Se were getting along again. But he had just left the house without speaking to her. She stifled her sigh and scooted over to reach for some bulgogi. It smelled delicious. She would solace herself with some food. Though, really, she seemed to have little appetite now. She wondered when her delightful husband would return.