Chapter Three

I hope you like this chapter. I promise it will all pick up soon. So comment what you think!

~BB

~~~~~~

Chapter 3

"It's ready?" I squealed when I got the call from Dr. Harrison.

"Yes. Would you like to come pick it up?" He replied, monotoned.

"Of course. I'm on my way there!" I was ecstatic. I never thought I would be able to say that Gallifrey was only a drive away.

"Doctor!" I called.

He came into the living room. "Yes, Rose?"

"It's ready," I gave him my devilish smile.

"It's ready!" He replied back in a way that only he and one other specimen in existence could.

"Let's go," I grabbed his hand. I dragged him into the driveway.

It was still weird saying things like driveway and living room. I know I had done nothing with my life for the first nineteen years of my life, but even if I had spent a day with the Doctor, living rooms and driveways would become something weird.

We hopped in the car and I shoved the keys into the ignition.

Did I go faster than the speed limit? Maybe! But I was practicing. In the TARDIS there was no speed limit.

When we finally pulled up to Canary Wharf, the Torchwood building I saw the sign that said "Alien is Our Specialty". I smiled to myself thinking 'mine too'.

"I'm excited Doctor," I grabbed my husband's hand as we rode up in the lift. "It'll be you and me in the TARDIS. We can go anywhere!"

"You bet, Rose. And I promise you, we'll find a way back into the other universe," he kissed the top of my head.

The doors opened and we stepped out into the blinding white light of the lab. I saw Dr. Harrison working off to the side. I sauntered over to him.

"Hello, Dr. Harrison," I greeted him with a handshake.

"Rose Tyler and the Doctor," he smiled. "It's ready."

He bent down. When he came back up, he had something in his hands.

"This is your teleportation device," he told us. It looked like a wrist watch.

"How does it work?" I asked eagerly.

Dr. Harrison told me to hold out my hand, which I did without a second question. He strapped it on to my wrist.

"All you have to do is hold his hand," he pointed at the Doctor," set the date and place of your destination, and then press that button on the side."

"Simple enough," I nodded.

"Well I expect you'll be using it very soon," Dr. Harrison guessed.

The Doctor nodded. "Yes. In fact I think we'll go home and pack a few things and we'll be gone. No telling when or if we'll be back."

"Well then, I will say goodbye to both of you. I'm glad I could help," Dr. Harrison said.

"Thank you so much," I hugged him.

"You're very welcome."

After that, we left Torchwood and drove back home. I kept looking down at the device on my wrist and smiling. Only one press of a button and we could go wherever we wanted.

At home, I noticed my mother's car parked next to the garage. She had probably let herself inside.

I hopped out of the car to go find her. She was in the kitchen making herself tea.

"'Ello, darling! I hope you don't mind I let myself in, I just wanted to see you," she turned around. When she saw the bulky bracelet on my wrist, she frowned.

"Is that it, then?" She asked.

I nodded slowly.

"Am I ever going to see you again?" She started to tear up.

"I'm sorry mum, I'm not sure," I told her the truth.

She ran to me and embraced me in a tight hug.

"I'll miss you, sweetie!" She cried.

"I'll miss you too, Mum," my eyes started to water.

The Doctor came in from our bedroom. He had noticed that my mother was here, but he hadn't said anything. He had just gone into our room and packed.

"I have to go," I told my mom. She sniffled and pulled away.

"Okay. Be safe, honey," she ran her hand down the side of my face.

"I'll try my hardest," my safety wasn't something that I could promise. I didn't want to give my mother false hope. I knew all too well what could happen to me.

"Goodbye, Jackie," the Doctor hugged her.

"Tell Dad I love him," I said to my mother once more before going out into the yard.

The Doctor slipped the backpack onto his shoulders.

I looked at my wrist and set the date for 5/29/12, today's date. I set the location for the lost planet of Gallifrey.

I look one more look around. This quiet life, with my husband and my mum. Did I really want to leave it all behind? Would I miss it? Probably not. I wanted to see the stars again. I wanted to explore the universe as I hadn't since I quit my job at Torchwood. The answer was yes. I wanted to leave all of this behind. I couldn't have chosen another option if I wanted to. This was what I needed to do.

I looked over at my husband, who have me a reassuring smile.

Then I clicked the button and we went flying into the air.