Chapter 4

I wake up to an abundance of obstreperous noises and a pounding pain above my eye. As I suspected there is a large lump on my brow. I am in another cage. Although this one is more like the little yellow bird's cage. There are no walls, just metal bars. The cage was small, there was just enough room for me to turn around. Definitely not enough space for a growing German Shephard. My breed is energetic and adventurous, that's what I was supposed to be. However, trapped in here I am filled with despair and loneliness. The deafening sounds came from a large crowd of humans with ugly faces. They were peering in at me. I was poked and prodded by them, like a toy or a lab rat. They were cruel. For the first time in my life, I wished the death bang had taken my life. That way I would have gone to the clouds with Mother and Father to live the rest of my life in peace and happiness. But I was stuck in this horrific cage with all those hideous faces peering in at me, day after dreadful day. 

After being starved for a week, I could no longer stand. I couldn't even raise my head to look at these disgusting faces. All I could do was lie on the uncomfortable floor and sleep every day out, hoping the clouds would take me to Mother and Father. I dreamt about the clouds and refused to open my eyes until the small boy human with the freckles and big teeth rattle my cage and jabbed my ribs. I wailed pitifully. 

The death bang stood on a block of wood calling out things I didn't understand. Things like "$1000, $900, $800."  I heard someone call them prices. Eventually, I realised these 'prices' decreased with every passing day. 

I was comforted by the thought of my brother's safety. I knew they were in the den. That's when I hear the despairing yelp. My head bolts up with an energy I didn't know I had. I look past the crowds and feel my stomach drop. Dusk is being pulled out of another cage by a delighted, brunette boy. Dusk didn't have the energy to fight back and instead gave in to the boy. The cage next to Dusk's holds Dellie. I tried to bark but, all I could manage was a pathetic whine. Dellie was supposed to be safe in the den. What was he doing here!? His cage was also being reached into by an older woman. She picked him up, turned around and he left my eyesight. Dellie, no. I howled in grief. 

 Dart and Laser were pathetically sleep in the same cage on the other side of me. As the days passed, they too were taken, this time by a young woman. At least they were together. 

A little over a week into my starvation I felt the intent stare of someone. Somehow I knew this was different. This was someone who had different morals. They didn't kick my cage or forcefully jab my stomach. I lazily opened one eye and looked directly into the face of a small girl human. Freckles dotted her pale face and her fiery red hair cascaded down her shoulders. She looked no older than five. 

"Mummy" She projected "can we get it?" A woman with light blonde hair eyed me then her daughter then me again. I realised she wanted to take me and whined miserably. Anywhere can be better than here. The blonde woman smiled at her daughter and nodded. Then she opened my cage and I gave in to her arms as she pulled me out. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, if enjoyed this chapter then please give it a star and comment. Also if you have any suggestions then please comment.

Thanks x