Chapter 19: In The Dark

A/N: Sorry for the long wait and also sorry for the crappy quality of this chapter. It's not very long either :/ But, I think there are only 3 chapters left for me to write to finish this first book in the Mountain River Trilogy so at least that's some good news, right? Once I'm finished, I will go back to all my updates here on Wattpad and edit them. Until then, I hope you don't mind the many mistakes. Enjoy!  

CHAPTER 19: IN THE DARK

Voices sounded from outside, but the blood pulsed too loudly in my ears for me to figure out to whom the voices belonged.

Outside was where I had to be if I wanted to find out what was happening. Then again, maybe it was best to peek through one of the windows first before I walked into something I shouldn't. Having made up my mind and burning through the last remains of what used to be courage, I held my breath and inched closer to the window... I never made it past the backdoor.

The door burst inward, splintering in several pieces as it did, and a loud, horrified scream escaped my mouth.

Movement blurred past me. Something hit me from the left and I lost my balance, stumbling to the floor.

And then...nothing.

Nothing but the sound of my own breathing and a dull pain in my hip from where I hit the hard tiles of the kitchen floor.

As I sat up, a shadow fell on me, causing me to brace for what was to come.

What if it was Samuel? I flinched at the thought of what might happen next. However, when the person in the door-opening spoke, I recognized the voice. That deep voice belonged to Eric, Kieran's Uncle.

"Are you okay?" he said while offering me his left hand to help me up. His hand so big that it practically swallowed mine.

As he pulled me up from the floor I bit my lip to keep from winking as I put weight on my aching hip. My heart raced. Fear for Don overpowered me. So many questions formed in my mind, yet all I said was, "I'm fine."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "If you say so. Just, let put some ice on your cheek. It looks like you'll have one hell of bruise."

My hand shot up to touch my cheek. "I didn't --"

"I'll bet," Eric said,turning to the freezer. He pulled out a tray with ice cubes, spread a dish towel on the counter and emptied the tray on it. He closed the towel, gave it a twist and handed it to me. "Don't worry. Keep this on your cheek and it'll help with the swelling."

"Swelling?"

"Sounds worse than it is right now, but trust me, you'll want to keep the ice on it."

"Oh-okay."

"We should have been more careful. Don's going to lose it when he finds out you're hurt."

At his words, I could feel the color drain straight from my face. "He told me to stay upstairs, but then I was afraid something would happen to him. I didn't mean --"

"He's not going to get mad at you, Seda. You're his little girl and you got hurt because of..." Eric looked over his shoulder, to the backdoor -- or what was left of it anyway. Perhaps Don should stop wasting money on fixing that door because it got ruined faster than he could replace the doors.

"What happened? I heard voices and there's blood in the living room. Did anyone get hurt? Is everyone okay?"

"You should ask Don."