Chapter 15: Places To Belong

Kind of important message:

From the very beginning, I wanted Seda to portray a strong lead character, opposed to a weak damsel in distress. I felt like I was doing relatively well, although, it was brought to my attention that Seda started to show signs of weakness. I apologize for that, because I know it’s entirely of my doing. Mountain River Girl is the first time I attempted writing a story from beginning to end, without planning anything ahead. Personally, I find it easier to write scenes whenever inspiration strikes, and then when I can, I puzzle those pieces together until they form a story. Stepping out of my comfort zone, I soon realized that while I focus on getting the story written, I tend to forget about small details, or sometimes I even pay less attention to my characters than I should. Inexcusable, if you ask me. However, please keep in mind that this version of the story is only a first draft. When the story is finished, I will edit and improve the storyline, the characters… basically, everything that needs fixing or touching up.

As for right now, I also would like to point out that Seda finds herself in a messed-up situation. Before she started digging for the truth, before meeting Kieran, Seda was a mentally strong person, someone who held it together. Right now, at this point in the story, she doesn’t quite know what to believe, who to turn to for help, etc… Emotionally, she’s feeling conflicted and confused - not a nice place to find yourself in. However, I’ll try to do my best not to downgrade Seda to a whine-baby or a brainless girl because that’s not who she is. If she comes across as fake, unreal, or incredibly annoying, it’s not intentional and most definitely my fault.

As a reader, I know it’s not always fun to tell a writer they’re messing up the story, but as I writer, I can only remind you that it is very helpful. So yes, thank you to the person who pointed out the thing about Seda, and to the others: don’t be afraid to send me your feedback in comments or private messages.

Most of all, thank you for reading Mountain River Girl, despite its flaws!

- Vicky

PLACES TO BELONG

The thing about long walks is that they leave you too much time to think, to rethink, and to over-think. Sometimes this is a good thing, but mostly not. Especially not to me, and not while I housed so many conflicting emotions. Too much was going on, causing me to wish I could simply take an hour or two to organize everything, like I used to do with the books in my bedroom at home. There is something soothing about sorting things. Putting my belongings in order calmed me down. Thinking of this, I found it rather funny that such a trivial act helped me clear my thoughts. Too bad there weren’t that many books around to sort alphabetically when in the middle of the woods.

“Are we there yet?” I whined for the umpteenth time. By now, Kieran must have had grown tired of my whining, but if that was the case, it didn’t show in his behavior. Instead, he replied with an amused grin.

“We’re twenty minutes closer than when you last asked, which was – correct me if I’m wrong - twenty minutes ago.”

“Quit laughing at my expense. I’m hungry, my feet hurt, I’m close to passing out because of fatigue, and not to mention, I’ve seen enough trees to last a lifetime.”

“I hate being the one to remind you –“

“No you don’t.”

“Correct,” he laughed, “but, that doesn’t take away that you brought this on yourself.”

“I know.” I sighed loudly. “I don’t need the reminder.”

Kieran shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “My offer still stands.”