Chapter 1: My Sweet Escape

MY SWEET ESCAPE

A swift glance at my watch showed me that I still had five minutes left until the end of lunch break - five minutes for me to leave the school grounds unnoticed. I put away the books I was holding, except for those of the classes I would be skipping. By lack of anything better to do, I would read them and make sure I caught up with what I missed before I attended class next time. Two minutes before the bell would sound, I shut my locker and let the stream of students swallow me. No one noticed me taking a right turn while the majority of my fellow students continued in the opposite direction. It took me no effort at all to slip by the few stray students comparing notes in the abandoned hallway, texting on their phones or making out in a shaded corner. It was just as simple for me to skid through the glass doors. Any of these students could have easily reported me to one of the supervisors, but they didn't. No one ever did, because no one cared. Just like many a time before, I managed to speed-walk my way across the parking lot, through the open iron gate and onto the street without ever being called upon. I didn't slow my pace until I was two streets away from that horrible place called Mountain River High. Deep inside, I knew there was no need for me to act so precautious, but pretending that people cared, made their not-caring the slightest bit easier to bear.

I turned around another corner and pictured what it would be like if I ever were to voice my frustrations. Would anyone be willing to listen? Would anyone care? Would I even be able to vocalize the few words I had wanted to shout for so long? If I were strong enough, I would ask my biological parents why they didn't want me. I would ask the people I lived with, the ones I was taught to call Mom and Dad, why they didn't care for me more. I would ask the kids at school why I wasn't good enough to be their friend. I would ask the people in town why they acted as though I had to be avoided at all cost. From the rooftops, I would shout for everyone to hear, in the hopes that someone would answer me. If anyone cared to listen, they'd hear me cry: "Why don't you want me?"

The sudden penetrating smell of fish brought me back from my thoughts. It was a very unpleasant smell, but at the same time, a smell I had come to like over time. It wasn't the fishy smell itself that made my world turn brighter, but the knowledge that I had reached the edge of town. Mare's Fish Shop was the last building one needed to pass to leave good old Mountain River behind. From this point on, I could easily sneak off into the woods. Surrounded by the trees, no one would be able to bother me or even glance my way with pure distaste in their eyes.

I didn't even glance over my shoulder to see if anyone witnessed my silent escape when I skidded toward the tree line. The peaceful feeling that would wash over me as soon as I set foot in the woods was the sole thing on my mind. Ever since I could remember, the wilderness had had this effect on me, some sort of therapeutic influence, a feeling that rendered time without meaning. An hour under the protection of the trees would feel like minutes - hence why it was so easy for me to lose track of time. This tendency to lose track of time was something that had caused me to get in trouble for coming home late several times already, but each and every single time it happened, it had been worth the yelling from Mom and Dad.

I didn't stop walking when my shoes made the fallen leaves crunch beneath my feet. I inhaled the scent of the forest and took in the feeling as it spread through my bloodstream. Every cell in my body tingled as it came to life while I let the forest fill my senses. I inhaled the fresh air and the smell of mud, trees, even the endless amounts of moss that covered rocks and trunks all around. I listened to the rustling sound of the leaves above me, the chirps of birds in the trees and the whooshing of the water a little down the small, winding path. I felt the wind touch my skin and watched it lift some yellow and orange leaves up off the ground, simply to let them graciously dance around me. With my arms spread out, I walked deeper into the forest and let my hands slide across the barks of the trees as I passed them. Not a single cell of my body was left unaffected by this breathtaking place. Eventually, I closed my eyes and slowed my pace so I could embrace the welcoming feeling...until my one foot slipped on a leaf.