Chapter 5: The girl with the coloured hair

It had been just under a week since Y/N had first arrived at Beacon Academy as entourage to Qrow. It had been even less time since their encounter with Mint, the small black-haired girl that Y/N had run into during their first outing into the strange new place that is Vale.

As promised, Blake had given Y/N the thing she called a Scroll, which confused Y/N as it wasn't made of paper like some of their Papa's scrolls were... Whilst exasperated with Y/N's naivety, Blake still kept her promise to teach them how to use a Scroll and how to add Mint's number to it as well as adding her own at the same time for future convenience.

* * *

After the weekend's end, it was time for you to attend classes finally, to catch up on all that you had missed in your years of solitude out in the wilderness. Which is why it was both a curse and a blessing that the first lesson was taught by a Dr. Oobleck who spoke at a speed so fast it was practically unintelligible to you!

Fortunately, team RWBY had made a point to save a space for you and so you sat besides Blake who helped you to take notes throughout the lesson.

You could feel that a lot of your fellow students were watching you with a curious eye, but you felt no malicious intent behind their gazes so you paid it no mind and instead focused on trying to learn as much as you could from the speedy-speaking professor... but it was no use, your way with words was already at what seemed to be a sub-par level for the new company you kept, and the more experienced also often struggled to grasp his caffeine-fuelled teachings too!

As such, it was incredibly fortunate that Blake was your neighbour, as not only was she the one most acclimated to your behaviour and ability to understand, but she also was one of two members of Team RWBY who seemed to actually pay attention and take notes in this class, with Weiss being the second.

After that class, the rest seemed far easier to acclimate to, you were definitely thrown into the deep end with Dr. Oobleck!

The rest of the week went rather plainly, especially when compared to your first weekend at Beacon!

You attended classes like everyone else, then retrieved a meal from the cafeteria which you would always take up to your dorm room alone and eat in solitude, like you were used to. And then you would spend your free time reading. Sometimes, Blake would drop by for the peace and quiet your room offered, but would help you with any queries you had whilst she was there.

* * *

It was now Friday evening, and you were reading again with the silent company of Blake.

Blake: "Have you heard from that friend of yours yet? Mint, right?"

Y/N: "No. No message. Maybe magic paper is broken?"

Blake: "No, your Scroll is fine - I sent you that message to test earlier this week, remember?"

Y/N: "I see. Maybe friend's magic pa-... Scroll is broken?"

Blake: "That could be the case, it is a little weird she didn't reply at all to say she received your message."

Y/N: "I sent message?"

Blake: "You... you didn't send a message to her, at all?"

Y/N: "No? Friend said she send me message when ready. Right?"

Blake: "Well, I mean... you're not wrong... b-but! How is she meant to send a message if she doesn't know your number?!"

Y/N: "This technology... too confusing..."

Blake: "It... it really isn't... look, just send her a message that says something like 'Hi, this is the scroll of Y/N'... and probably something about being sorry for how slow you were in getting in touch, maybe don't mention that it was because this was your first time with a Scroll... or maybe do? And..."