13 ~ The Tea

“Reilly,” a voice called from afar. She heard it, recognized it, but it didn't inspire her to open her eyes. Quite the opposite. It seemed to encourage her to go deeper into the dark.

Only her body wouldn't let her.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked into Blake's eyes. He was close to her. She had an urge to drop her eyes, but she held strong.

He didn't say anything. Neither did she.

“I'll get you some water,” he murmured as he stalked to the kitchen.

“Thank you,” Reilly whispered as she sat up and sipped on the water.

“You gave me a heart attack,” he said, after what felt like hours.

“I'm sorry,” she responded, “I just came for my jeans.”

“Jeans?” He stared at her.

So Reilly got up and searched for her jeans. When she found it behind the couch, she took out her small stack of notes and waved it as proof.

“I needed to buy food, so-”

“You left before breakfast this morning,” he said and glanced at his watch. “Well, I guess I understand why you fainted then.”

“Yeah, it was just the food,” Reilly said, sarcasm dripping off her voice.

“About that,” Blake started.

“It's fine, I got what I came for,” Reilly interrupted and walked towards the door.

“Reilly, you haven't eaten in almost twenty-four hours. I can't let you leave like that,” Blake countered while he moved to block the door.

“Blake,” she sighed, “I'd rather not take anything more from you.”

“Please forget what I said earlier and let me fix you some food,” he said, and when she opened her mouth to refuse again, he repeated, “Please.”

They stood facing each other for a while before Reilly gave up.

“Fine,” she said, “but only because I don't think I could stand for much longer.”

“Shit,” he said and moved towards her as to catch her.

“Do not touch me,” she retorted, grinding her teeth. He lifted his hands in the universal 'I'm innocent' gesture.

Reilly barely made it to the couch before falling onto it, grateful for the reprieve. She sat and looked down at her fingers. It was awkward without her laptop to hide behind.

Blake came back almost immediately with two boxes of noodles and chopsticks. He sat down next to her and passed a set to her.

“What's wrong?” He asked, when Reilly hesitated.

“Why do you have two sets of chopsticks?”

“Because I ordered dinner for two.”

“For you and?”

“For you.”

“But -”

“I was on my way downstairs to find out which room you were in when you came by.”

“But -”

“Yes, I behaved like an ass. I had lots of time to reflect while you were knocked out. I guess it upset me you came by because you ruined my plan to go begging you for forgiveness.”

“You sure have a weird way of grovelling.”

“Yeah,” he had the grace to blush as he spoke that, and Reilly smiled a bit.

“Would you mind if I use a fork?” Reilly asked, “I've never used these things, and I'm starving!”

Blake laughed all the way to the kitchen and got Reilly her fork.

They ate in silence.

“Thank you for dinner,” Reilly said after she took the last bite. “I think I better get going.”

She didn't move. She couldn't. Her legs were heavy, and so was her heart.

“I think you better get going too,” he responded after a while. Reilly's heart clenched. She jumped off the couch, eager to get to the door before her tears spilt onto her cheeks. She struggled with the latch on the door as her vision blurred. Furthermore, she sighed in relief when the latched opened, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her.

Blake pulled her back and turned her around. He flinched and wiped a tear off her cheek with his thumb. In doing so, his finger trailed fire over her skin. Reilly stood still. Petrified that any movement from her will send him running again.

“I didn't mean it like that,” he whispered. He placed his hand under her chin and lifted it to hold her gaze.

“What did you mean it like?” Reilly whispered back.

“Can't you feel this?” He asked, whispering still.

“Feel what?” Reilly replied, too scared to hope.

“I want to kiss you, Reilly,” he murmured, and then roughly, “God, I want to do a lot more than kiss you.”

“I want to kiss you too,” she answered and stepped towards him.

“That does not help at all,” Blake muttered, and shoved his hands in his pockets.

Reilly frowned. That was not the reaction she expected. It was not the reaction she wanted, either.

“Don't look at me like that,” Blake said.

“Then stop giving me mixed signals!” She responded, screaming in frustration.

"You don't understand."

"Then make me," Reilly responded to the hurt in his eyes and the way his shoulders seemed to slump.

"You might leave if I do," Blake whispered and dragged his fingers through his hair.

"I will leave if you don't," she retorted, tired of the uncertainty surrounding them. She was irrevocably falling in love with a stranger, and clarity might help her decide if he's worthy of her heart.

"I'll make us tea," he said pointing to the kitchen chairs. An impending doom settles in the air around them as Reilly sat down.

Blake joined her a few minutes later with two warm cups of tea.

"So," Reilly prompted as she shifted in her seat.

"I am engaged," he said eventually.

"Then what are you hiding from?"

"I don't want to marry her. That is why I'm hiding here. It's stupid because I'm an adult and I should be able to stop a marriage if I didn't want it. But, I don't think I can avoid it this time around. The longer I stay the more I realize that I'm just avoiding the inevitable. Then I met you. In 4 days you have thrown my already upside-down world off-kilter. So yes, I want to bloody kiss you. But, I can't. Because even though I don't want to marry the woman, I just cannot bring myself to cheat."

"Wow, that's a lot to unpack," Reilly responded, her mind buzzing with the new information. Then, out of nowhere, she laughed. Uncontrollably she doubled over and giggled so hard her stomach ached.

The irony is that she is technically engaged herself.

Does she tell him?

Would it mean anything?

That sobered her up.

Blake stared at her as if she had grown a second head, but said nothing.

"What do you expect me to do with that? Mutter 'Cool story, Bro' and kiss you anyway? Run? Stay? I'm screwed either way."

Blake shrugged. He wanted to ask her to stay. In fact, he would be all for the first option at this point. But, he knew it wasn't fair. He knew he would have to let her go.

So, when she got up to leave the third time that night, he didn't stop her.

He let her go.