17 ~ The Open Day

Reilly looked through her admission papers nervously, trying to find her class schedule for the new university year. This scholarship was Godsent, she can't afford any mistakes.

Open days at university were mainly for parents to see where they sent their children and what the classes are about. Reilly came to orient herself into a new world that she was nervous to join. 

Pushing her nervousness to the back of her head, she paused to look up towards the old castle-like building in front of her. Then she walked to the first interesting thing scheduled for the day: Introduction to Communication with Professor Norman. The class was buzzing with students excitedly chatting in a variety of groups. Reilly slipped past them to the back of the class and sat down setting out her books and pens, ready for the introduction.

"Good morning," the Professor called from the front, successfully gaining everyone's attention, he continued: "If you all could kindly take your seats, then the orientation can begin."

The students and some parents moved towards their desks quietly, murmuring to each other. Reilly looked up then and frowned at the familiar man standing in the front of the class, trying to place him. He introduced himself as Professor Phillip Norman, and he started describing the syllabus animatedly. His arms waving, his head bobbing as he spoke, causing his blond fringe to fall into his face. Then it dawned on her.

She blushed remembering the encounter she had with him, the bartender, that night, hoping that she was just another face in a busy night for him. Shaking her head, she took notes, determined to stay focused on the course. Her phone had other ideas and vibrated in her pocket. She took out her phone and giggled.

Tianna: I am sooooo bored! Kill me nowww!

Reilly: I'm trying to concentrate!

Tianna: I've got a free period after this snore-fest, wanna go have some coffee? No, it's not a question, you gonna have some coffee!

Reilly: Only if you let me concentrate!

Tianna: M'kay!

Reilly put her phone back into her pocket and looked up to find Prof. Norman frowning at her.

"Great," she mumbled under her breath, "such a wonderful display of academic interest for the first day."

Overthinking was her speciality and Reilly spent the rest of the hour worrying about the impression she made on her professor and was annoyed when the bell rang. Her notebook had two points in it and she was going to have a terrible time trying to understand the syllabus without a proper outline. She walked moodily towards the door.

"Reilly?" the professor called before she reached it. She turned around and faced him bravely, expecting him to reprimand her.

"Yes, Prof. Norman?" she responded meekly.

"I thought it was you," he laughed, "How was the rest of your birthday?"

"It was okay," she answered laughing with him, but blushing deeply.

"Only okay, hmm?" he smiled, his blue eyes twinkling, "You go off to the next event, it was nice to officially meet you."

Dismissed, Reilly left the class feeling weird. What just happened?

"Rye!" Tianna shouted from the other side of the courtyard, running towards her, placing all other thoughts firmly out of Reilly's head.

"So, how was Law?"

"Not as How-to-get-away-with-murder as I hope," she sighed dramatically, "I don't think I'm cut out for this nonsense."

"It's the first day, it wasn't even a lesson, just orientation," Reilly said supportively, "Give it a fair chance!"

"Let's get caffeinated first," Tianna mumbled, grabbing Reilly's hand pulling her towards Just Coffee, the campus coffee shop.

"No way," Tianna exclaimed when we were sitting down with our coffee, "The bartender is not your Communications professor!"

"It was so awkward, T," Reilly responded, "I thought he was going to call me out for chatting on my phone during class, but he just recognized me. Imagine, a university professor thinking I'm some sort of club girl?"

"There something wrong with club girls?" Tianna whined, acting hurt before laughing, "Don't worry, Rye, I know what ya mean. So what happened last night with the guy from the bar?" 

"Nothing, really. We danced, I wanted to leave early without bothering you and he offered me a ride home on his motorcycle."

"He has a bike?" Tianna gasped, "I've heard a bike in our street a couple of times and I never pegged Tyler as the type to have one, I guess."

"Tee, you judging people by their 'type'," Reilly gasped in fake shock, " You, of all people!?"

"Yeah, yeah! I know! But, how was it?"

"It was interesting. The ride was thrilling, surely, but when he dropped me off at your house it became a bit awkward."

"You mean he wanted to come in and you wanted him to leave?"

"It's silly, I know," Reilly sighed, "But..."

"No, don't finish that sentence," Tianna smiled reassuringly, "It's not silly to know what you don't want. I just wish you'll go after what you want more often!"

"So what class do you have next?" Reilly asked changing the subject.

"I couldn't care less," Tianna answered typing away on her phone, "Julie, from home class last year, is throwing the first day of Uni party tonight, we should so go!"

"Tianna, it's a Monday night-"

"The first Monday night of Uni, girlfriend," she interrupted, downing her coffee. Reilly shook her head and sighed. She was stuck with a party maniac as a best friend, and maybe, just maybe it wasn't such a terrible thing.