❶❻ Chapter Sixteen

| Chapter Sixteen |

"I'm a vampire. What's your excuse? The vervain didn't effect you. You're not a vampire. What the hell are you?"

I run my hands along the smooth pearls on my neck, taking a deep breath as I listen to Elena and Bonnie get out of the car. It's the founders' day celebration, and I've been on edge for the past two days since we gave the Gilbert device over to Isobel, who surprise surprise, gave it to John. I know he's planning something tonight during the event. My magic has been on high alert, which is throwing me completely off.

"Carter? Carter!" Elena calls my name, breaking me out of my thoughts, making me almost jump out of my seat. "Are you okay? Bonnie said something to you, and I've been calling your name for the last two minutes."

"Sorry, I'm just really nervous about the parade, I guess," I say, trying to calm my frantic heart.

" Well don't you look beautiful, and everyone isn't going to be able to take their eyes off of you," Bonnie says excitedly.

"That's the problem" I mutter.

" It was really nice of Stefan to give you this dress. It fits you perfectly." Elena comments as she helps me out of the car. "Almost like it was made specifically for you."

I nod my head, giving her a tight smile.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this damn dress is driving me crazy also. I had explained to Stefan that Caroline was going to kill me for not having my dress already, and he said he had one from when he was human, which I gave him a questionable look for. He said it didn't belong to Katherine but doesn't really remember who it belonged to and why he had it in the first place anyway. The dress is haunted by whomever it belonged to because I keep getting sharp headaches like a vision trying to breakthrough.

"Hey, I have to go help with some last-minute directions," Bonnie says as we start to walk away from the car.

"Okay, Carter and I will find Stefan then head to the float," Elena says, and I hear Bonnie walking away.

"Hey, I haven't heard you say anything about Caleb. Is he going to escort you on the float?"

"No," I say bluntly, and Elena doesn't ask why by the tone of my voice. I had to argue back and forth with the boy for an hour last night on how he was not coming into town because it's too dangerous, and of course, he didn't care, but I told him I would hex him if he even set one foot in Virginia. So I won.

We continue to walk as the sounds of people talking get louder the farther we walk. Until I feel a shock going up my spine, and Elena stops. I feel Elena move down a little before speaking to me.