Chapter 13

Though Thalassa spoke quietly, her voice was intentional and commanding. The voice of a ruler who knew she did not need to speak loudly to be heard. "The Vi'qom came here some hundreds of years ago by chance and found something they needed to survive."

Yaalon inhaled sharply, leaning forward but then exhaled, settling back against the chair.

Thalassa continued, "They found us, the Zaryans. We have in our genetic make-up a molecule that allows our physical bodies to be adapted to almost any environment. The Vi'qom, having lost their homeworld, had been traveling aimlessly through the stars, searching for a planet that would support their own genetic make-up. But they had not succeeded. In fact, they still have not. They have been coming to Iyhiri for a very long time, making a withdrawal of sorts from us, from the Zaryans. They are able to take this molecule and manipulate it so that they, too, can adapt their bodies. By doing so, they can leave their vessel and explore any oxygen rich planet they find, or planets composed mostly of gases or liquids. Carbon based, silicon based. It doesn't matter. Wherever they go, they can use this molecule to adapt. But their adaptation is only temporary. And they have yet to find a planet with the correct composition and proximity to a sunstar to fit their needs.

"While the Zaryans are able to adapt permanently, the Vi'qom can only make a temporary change. That is why they keep returning. But they are no longer willing to make these occasional withdrawals. They wish to capture the Zaryans. Though they can travel very far, very fast, the distances they are now covering in a search for a new home is taking too long. They now cover such vast distances that returning to Iyhiri keeps them from looking further. They know that we would rather die than be captured. They will no doubt find some way of separating us from each other, preventing us from taking our own lives if they are able to capture us. They would keep us as supplies, a stock item in their resources. I will not allow my people to come to that!"

Yaalon sat silent for a moment. Then stood and slowly began to pace back and forth.

"How," he started, "would they be able to do that? The Zaryans are powerful and obviously advanced if you are telling me that you used to be human and have adapted to have gills and skin and to handle the pressure of the water as deep as you have."

Thalassa let out a long, heavy sigh. "You have heard stories of the Zaryans?"

"Of course. Every Euryfera knows of the Zaryans."

"You've heard of my daughter? My Laeila?"

Yaalon nodded. "I've heard," he said softly, the loss of someone close sharper than it had been in years.

"I won't make that mistake again, Yaalon. As I said, I know what you face. I won't risk my people in a direct confrontation."

"But you have no problem risking me? And Agnez? Rahjani?"

"No, I don't," she replied dispassionately.

"You are not the benevolent, caring creature the Euryfera think you are."

"I'm not. And I don't care. If the Euryfera want to make up romantic stories of the Zaryan Priestess, they can do so. I am only interested in the well-being of us, of the Zaryans. And..."

"And what?" Yaalon asked, his pacing faster, his breathing faster as well.

"And nothing. Do you want to know what other information I can give you or not?"

"I want to know how you changed from human to fish."

_______________________________________________________

Chapter 14 coming right up! Thank you for reading. Please comment, share, and vote!

Photo by Jeremy Muller on pexels.com.