Chapter 15

Agnez watched Ra sleeping, her chest rising and falling in a slow, steady rhythm.

"She sleeps so peacefully," said Yaalon.

Agnez nodded, "I wish I could."

"I know what you mean," Yaalon responded.

They sat in silence. Night noises crept up to them. A slither beneath a fern. Patter of feet on hard soil. Faint waves crashing from beyond the shore line. She's right, thought Yaalon. You can hear the ocean from up here.

Agnez looked up at the sky. The three had spent the evening comparing notes on the trail of the Vi'qom's monster and searching for anything that seemed like a pattern or travel plan. They finally came up with a location to head toward.

"Do you think we'll find them near the river mouth?" Agnez asked.

"I don't know. But it makes sense. They've only been on the east side of Iyhiri as far as we know and it seems like a central location based on where we've seen the monster. In any case, we'll find out, and we need to start somewhere."

"Agreed. All my life, I've known what I was doing and when to do it. I was trained as a huntress from a young age. Even when my parents died, I followed the custom of my people. I took over as matriarch. The rules were clear."

"And now?" Yaalon asked.

"Now they aren't clear. I hate that I don't know how to hunt these people, or whatever they are. I can track their monster all day long but where do we find the Vi'qom?" Agnez balled her hands into fists. "I should know. It's what I do. I'm a huntress!"

Rajhani shifted in her sleep.

"Shhh..." hushed Yaalon. "She'll wake up. She's been through enough."

"Are you telling me what my sister needs?"

"No. I mean, I just..."

"I know what my sister needs. I don't need you to tell me," Agnez said as she picked up her bow.

"Whoa, Agnez, I'm sorry," Yaalon said as he lifted his hands up in surrender. "I didn't mean anything by it."

Agnez loosened her grip on her bow and set it back down beside her. She opened her hands and stretched out her fingers. "No, I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head. "I just don't know what to do to keep her safe."

"Whatever it takes. And I'll help."

Agnez met Yaalon's gaze. "I believe you," she said softly.

They fell back into silence and Agnez lifted her gaze up to the stars. The second planet flickered orange in the distance. She lifted her arm and pointed up. "There it is."

"There what is?" asked Yaalon.

"The second planet. I told you I would show you where it was but..."

"It's okay. Things didn't quite go as expected. Not that we should know what to expect when a monster invades our planet and tries to kill everything in its path."

"No, they didn't," Agnez said as she looked down at Rajhani, not seeming to notice Yaalon's sarcasm. She lowered her face and folded her hands together in her lap, resting them on crossed legs. "I don't know what I would have done if..."

"Hey," said Yaalon. "Don't go there. She's safe. And apparently better than ever after her healing with the Zaryans."

Agnez nodded her head. "You're right," she said. "Better than ever."

Yaalon slid sideways until he was sitting next to Agnez, nearly touching her. "So where is this planet?"

"It's right there," she said, pointing again.