Chapter 23

"I know you're in there so you may as well come out."

Rajhani heard Cyran before she saw him. She laid a hand on Rockdog's back when the wolf started to rise to face the threat. "Shhh..." she whispered. "He might not really know we're here." As if he understood, the wolf laid back down quietly.

Cyran walked to the opening where Rajhani and Rockdog had crawled into the hiriberry bush. "Come out, or I'll pull you out. I can smell you, Ra."

Rajhani felt at her waist and laid her hand across Cyran's knife. She took a deep breath. "Wait here, Rock Rock." The wolf let out a soft huff and stood to move forward.

"I hear the leaves rustling. Come out now, Ra!"

"No, Rock," Rajhani whispered. "I need you here. He doesn't want to kill me. He thinks he can take me back to the Ceasixus Realm. Stay."

Rockdog stepped back and lowered to the ground, all four legs tense underneath him, ready to move when called.

"Good pup," Rajhani said and then crawled toward the opening. "I'm coming out," she said. "Back up."

Rajhani looked up as she reached the edge of the shrub she was hiding in. Cyran's neck and shoulder were covered in dark, patchy scabs. The skin around them was puffy and red. Somehow he managed to survive the wolf's teeth but infection was setting in. Sweat dripped down his forehead.

Bringing herself to her full height, which wasn't much height at all, Rajhani stood firmly and evenly on both feet, looked Cyran in the eye, and asked, "How's your neck?"

Cyran stepped forward and backhanded Rajhani. The hit sent her flying and she landed on her back. Cyran stepped up to her and looked down.

"You're coming with me, Ra."

"No," she responded, not moving.

"Always, Ra. You always have to make things so difficult."

Rajhani let out a soft, sinister chuckle. "Sorry to ruin your plans of kidnap and oppression but I'm not going with you."

"And how are you going to stop me?"

"Cyran, I'm not sure why you aren't getting this. This didn't go well last time. And it won't end any better for you this time. If you try to take me with you, I am going to kill you."

Cyran threw his head back and let out a full, long laugh. "Who's going to help you this time?"

"You tell me, Cyran. I thought you said you've been following me."

"I have. And I know that your sister and that deformed monster left you here. And if that wolf were here, he'd be by your side. So it's just you and me."

Still laying on the ground, Rajhani said, "Cyran, I don't hate you. At one time, I loved you. Until I learned what you really are."

"And what's that? What am I, Ra?"

Rajhani pushed herself up, slid backward and away from Cyran and got to her feet. Facing him, she said, "You're a coward. You use your fists and knives and threats to control people. You manipulate and lie and make people feel bad about themselves. I was foolish to believe your poisonous words. But I learn quickly. And I see you for the coward you are."

Cyran covered the space between them in an instant and grabbed Rajhani's tunic at the collar. "You're coming with me!" he screamed toward the sky as he started to pull her forward.

Rajhani reached up and grabbed a handful of Cyran's tunic and then dropped to the ground. Expecting her to pull away from him, Cyran had his weight on the wrong foot and fell to the ground with her.