Chapter 14

"Did she tell you?" Rahjani asked excitedly as Yaalon recounted his conversation with Thalassa.

"No, she didn't. She doesn't seem interested in sharing much. I don't know how they actually changed, only that they can because of something in their bodies."

The three of them walked inland, putting distance between themselves and the Zaryans that had escorted them back to the beach. There was no sign that the Ceasixus had showed up at the beach while they were in the domes. Perhaps Thalassa had made that part up. As they neared the woodline, Rockdog galloped out from behind a large tree.

"Rock Rock!" shouted Ra in an excited voice.

Yaalon whipped his head around. "Rock Rock?"

"Yeah, I started calling him 'Rock Rock' when you were in the water. I think he likes it," Rajhani replied, smiling and patting Rockdog on the head.

Yaalon shook his head and sighed. "Okay," he said in resignation. "I can see you two have taken to each other."

Ra let out a soft giggle and Rockdog yipped in approval.

Her bow and quiver back in place, her gait a bit more even and steady, Agnez interrupted, looking up at Yaalon. "So what did she tell you? Anything useful?"

Yaalon shook his head again, looking down at Agnez, noticing for the first time that her deep brown eyes were ringed in green. "You really should have let them take care of your leg."

"Nonsense," Agnez said. "I'll be fine," she continued as she turned her head to look forward, straightened her back, and quickened her step slightly. "Well?"

"I agreed to the deal."

Agnez and Rajhani stopped and looked up at Yaalon.

"You did what?" asked Agnez, a touch of concern in her voice.

"I took the deal."

"What kind of deal have you made for us?" Agnez asked, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Not for us. For me. Look," Yaalon said, letting out a slow sigh, "there's something that I think you should know about. Something that both of you should know about."

"What is it?" asked Ra, her soft voice offering comfort.

"Let's get deeper into the woods," replied Yaalon. "I'd feel a little better if we could get ourselves up into the trees."

Agnez looked around. "I know just the place," she said, pointing deeper into the woods with her bow.

🙚🙘

"Stay safe, Rock," Yaalon said as he grabbed onto the hold carved into the crucith tree and started up behind Agnez and Rajhani. Rockdog huffed and trotted off into the dark.

Agnez reached the hunting platform and pulled Ra up after her. Yaalon climbed up and looked around at the forest. The moon shone bright above them, an orange tint creeping through the tree cover and reaching the forest floor in small fragments. Yaalon's skin turned amber where the light hit it. He looked over at Agnez, her eyes catching the dim light as she looked over at him after making sure Ra was comfortable. Yaalon saw that the green around the edges of her irises now appeared yellow and red, almost like fire.

They sat thirty feet up, high enough to see over the tops of smaller trees and keep an eye out for any unwelcome visitors.

"If one of those things heads this way, we'll see it in time to get out of the way. If anyone else shows up, they won't know we're here if we don't make any noise," Agnez said. "I use this platform for hunting from time to time. In the summers, I sleep up here when I go on longer hunting trips. If you're quiet, you can hear the ocean waves crash."