Chapter 16

Agnez, Rajhani, Yaalon, and Rockdog approached the water's edge and looked out over the estuary toward the horizon sitting on the other side of the ocean. They could see the faint shape of Llyr from where they stood. The shallow river burbled freely over small boulders and rocks and rushed toward the salty water. Like meeting an old friend, the salty water of the ocean lapped inland into the estuary and mixed with the fresh river water. The edge of Iyhiri Forest was visible from where they stood. The land was flat to the north and south.

"There has to be something, some sign of a trail. Look for anything out of the ordinary," Agnez said as she stepped into the water and walked in a northern direction.

Rajhani and Rockdog started inland. Yaalon headed south.

"But stay close enough that we can see each other," Agnez added over her shoulder.

"What exactly are we looking for?" Rajhani asked.

"Anything that doesn't look...right."

Agnez walked through the shallow, flowing water and headed toward the opposite bank. The estuary was small. A few birds picked at the wet soil at its edges searching for a meal. Everything seemed normal. Every blade of grass. The sound of the river upstream, the burbling of the water at her feet. Birds squawking in the forest. Small depressions in the bushes that lined the water. She looked over her shoulder and saw Yaalon and Rajhani moving farther off in their directions, looking at the ground, up into the air. Rockdog stuck close to Rajahani's side, sniffing the air, ears up.

Searching.

Yaalon turned back toward Agnez. "I've been walking around Iyhiri for years and this all looks exactly right to me," he yelled over the river to Agnez.

"To me, too," she responded. "But there has to be something. If these monsters were brought here by the Viqom, whatever brought them had to be large enough to carry them all. And the Vi'qom. If they're here, something will be out of place."

Rajhani wandered near the woodline, looking at the ground, hoping to see the sign of some sort of trail that she didn't recognize. "What do you think, Rock Rock?"

Rockdog lifted his snout away from the boulder he was sniffing and turned his head to look at Rajhani. He looked at the forest and back to Rajhani. He let out a short huff.

"Yeah, I don't see anything either," Rajhani said and kept wandering.

Rockdog jerked his head up and took off at the sound of Yaalon howling in pain.

"What is it?" yelled Agnez as she turned toward Yaalon and notched an arrow to her bow. Feet planted firmly, arrow ready to be released, she darted her eyes side to side looking for the threat.

Yaalon was on the ground, rocking back and forth slowly and holding onto his knee. Rockdog was already at his side, hackles raised.

"What happened," asked Agnez as she continued to search for an attacker.

"It's okay," said Yaalon. "I just fell."

Agnez put her arrow back in its quiver and shook her head. "Walking around here for years, huh?"

"I stepped in a burrow, okay? It was covered with leaves. These animals are clever little things. It blended right in."

Agnez walked over to him and extended a hand to help him up. "Can you walk?"

"I can walk," Yaalon said as he took Agnez's hand and shifted his weight onto his uninjured leg to stand. "It's not bad. Just needs a few minutes for the pain to stop."

Yaalon grabbed Agnez's hand and pulled himself upright.

Rockdog licked Yaalon's hand and went back to sniffing things.