The Mystery Fighter III (13)

By the time I had finished the cigarette, the crew had assembled back at the thrift store we had met behind the first day. Pete veered to the right and headed over to a parked van, pulling out some car keys from his back pocket.

«I got a message from Cole. We're set to trail RL for the next couple of days, starting tonight.»

A couple of cheerful whoops sounded from some men in the group. Others shuffled lazily on their feet, audibly sighing. It seemed not everyone was ecstatic about this ordeal with Zayden's gang.

I cursed under my breath at the announcement. What would I do about Celine?

This gave me the perfect opportunity to keep Rick and Brock updated on Pete's whereabouts. By being in Range with the crew, I would help RL keep the upper hand. There would be no surprises. But that would mean Celine was home alone for the next few nights.

As Pete opened the van and the men in the crew climbed in, I grabbed the nearest man's shoulder. Unsurprisingly, it was Zeke's shoulder I had latched onto. He looked back at me curiously as I let my hand fall back to my side.

I gestured to the gas station across the street. «Wait for me. I'm going to pee real quick before the drive.»

Zeke stared at me for a second before nodding.

My phone was in my hands the second I entered the gas station. I hastily called Julian, asking him if Celine could stay with him and Elisabeth for the next couple of days.

Julian hesitated for a second. In the background, I heard him excuse himself to someone. The other voice was muffled.

After a couple of seconds, Julian cleared his throat.

«I'm actually on a date right now, Cass,» he whispered.

«Oh. Sorry.»

A date?

For some reason, I hadn't thought about Julian dating again. It was strange imagining him back to his player ways, especially since I hadn't seen him with any girls after we graduated from high school. I guess everyone moves on eventually.

«No problem, I can pick Celine up in about an hour. We're almost done here, anyway. Why, though? Where are you?» He replied.

«I'll be out of town. Celine has some plans with her friends tomorrow, so she'll probably be out all day. Please, could you help her out with transportation and message her throughout the day for me? I owe you big time for this.»

«Ah, yeah sure. It's not like I had any plans or anything tomorrow,» he chuckled sarcastically. «No, but seriously, it's fine. I'll just invite the boys over to my house tomorrow. Celine won't be alone.»

I couldn't help the dissatisfied frown that spread across my face at the mention of his friends coming over and hanging out with Celine in the house. «Elisabeth isn't home these days?» I asked, still hopeful.

«She'll be home the day after tomorrow, I think. Don't worry, Celine is a big girl now. She can handle herself for a couple of hours. You gotta give her more credit.»

I thanked him again before hanging up and calling Celine. With hurried steps, I walked out of the gas station restroom while informing her I would be out for the next days, and that Julian would come pick her up in an hour.