The Mystery Fighter III (17)

«Hey. You didn't answer me back on the roof, Claire.»

Barney turned to face me as we left the bookstore and started tailing Brock and a curly-haired Ian. Though Pete had made sure to put some distance between us, there weren't enough people on the streets to blend in with as we took the same turns and pathways as the two RL members upfront. Safe to say; we didn't do a good job at being discreet in our stalking. 

I didn't spare Barney a glance as his eyes practically bore a hole at the side of my head, expecting an answer. 

Since when had he gotten so overbearing? The second I gave this man a little attention, no matter the context, he suddenly believed he could talk to me whenever and however he wanted.

I suddenly felt something hit the back of my knee cap, making me lose my balance and stumble forward.

My heart was in my throat the moment I lost my footing, and I just barely managed to keep upright by grabbing onto Zeke's jacket in front of me.

My teeth clenched as I regained my footing. Without thinking, I swung around and angled my body sideways while lifting my leg. A smiling Ben staggered backward mid-laugh as my shoe connected with his abdomen. Due to my surprise, the kick had been more forceful than intended, but it seemed the man was built like a brick. The kick merely shoved him back one and a half steps.

Not giving them any time to question what I did, and not wanting to give him a chance to retaliate, I pointed at Ben.

Still a bit taken aback, I realized I hadn't decided what to say.

Zeke and Barney both halted and looked at my accusing finger pointed at the man.

I stared unwaveringly back at Ben.

«Don't. Do that. Again.»

The clipped words coming from between my clenched teeth were all I could think of saying as the three of them watched me.

Ben took a moment before scoffing and cocking an eyebrow at me. He looked at me with distaste as he touched the area my shoe had hit.

«How about you stop acting so obnoxious? Here, you answer when someone is talking to you. Don't think you're all that just because Pete keeps you around. The second he's done using you, you'll be kicked to the curb.»

He looked me up and down before settling his glare back on my face, his expression resembling a look of disgust. I was but a cockroach he had found on his kitchen counter.

«We ain't friends.»

I dodged as he shoved his way past me, just barely missing his shoulder aimed at my face.

I sucked my teeth as I stood for a moment and regained my train of thought. For some reason, I didn't feel like picking a fight. The tension in my shoulders lingered, yet I wasn't tingling for something to punch.

I just wanted to get as far away from these men as possible.