Ch. 28

Things got easier, or so Stiles was telling himself. Derek had been pissed about it all. He didn't have to say so Stiles just knew, and knew it was fair so he gave him his space. And when he was ready things got better. Stiles was learning to communicate better, he was learning to be better and that was good.

"Sti! Hey, I'm home" Derek shouted when he came through the door. Stiles was absent from his spot on the couch which was where Derek usually found him when he came home. In all likelihood he must have heard the sound of things crashing in the room the bedroom, then the slur of curse words that followed because he dropped his briefcase and was rushing down the all "Stiles wha-" he paused, taking the scene in. Stiles was in his boxers hanging off the bed, the contents of his nightstand scattered across the floor "What the hell?"

"Phone. The phone is under the bed I-"

"Are you drunk?"

"Do I look drunk?" he slurred, but was clearly serious.

"Do you honestly want me to answer that?" Derek responded with a laugh. He stripped himself free of his jacket, rolling up his sleeves as he bent down to retrieve Stiles' phone. But then Stiles was suddenly aware of what he was doing and started slapping his hands away. He started to garble and stammer a series of no's trying to reach the phone before the other.

But he failed, and Derek was standing back up with the device in his hand. He smirk to himself once he seen why Stiles was so bent on getting himself, it also explained why he was half naked. The video playing on his phone was paused and suddenly the booze must have kicked in because Stiles wasn't breaking eye-contact as he shamelessly waited for a reaction "You are something else Stiles Stilinski" Derek scolded him mischievously. He closed the screen, handing it over to Stiles. But he had since given up, he no longer cared and was downing the rest of his beer he had stashed behind the lamp.

"You weren't supposed to be home early" he finally admitted, wondering where it was the tequila bottle had rolled too.

Derek kept up his smile as he sat on the bed beside Stiles "What's going on?"

"First day back is in two days. I'm excited and celebrating" He searched his eye for the truth, but Stiles was sure all he found was glossiness. His inhibitions had been gone and he lurched forward sloppily pecking at his lips, he pulled away with a devious smiling "Do you want to join me?"

"Drinking or masturbating?"

"I'd say the latter but I uh-I think the alcohol has ruined that option" Stiles joked handing Derek a shot glass and keeping the bottle for himself.

Well into the night the two were a laughing mess. Neither of them really knew what was even going on as they stumbled around their bedroom not caring to venture anywhere else. Stiles told him to try again, and he did, and he couldn't help but laugh as he tried execute the grapevine dance move to the sound of Stiles' terrible humming "I told you I wasn't a dancer" Derek said protesting.

"But you were an athlete" the giggling boy tried "You have some form of coordination" Derek ignored the comment taking Stiles' hands and staring again. After their tough few weeks the two had made more of an effort to come closer together instead of falling apart, Stiles more than Derek. Tonight a few shots had led them to a spontaneous dance session. Derek was butchering the act as Stiles tried and failed to guide him around their bedroom.

Stiles was standing pressed against Derek's own body as he watched the grown man gather his thoughts and attempt to perform a simple move "I don't understand how you're so good at this, you trip going up the stairs" Derek laughed at his own joke letting the sound of his chuckle clash with Stiles'.

"Gee babe thanks" his sarcasm was met with Derek's clunky feet stepping on his skinny ones "Okay, lessons over, you're hopeless" his boyfriend didn't take it too hard, instead he joined him in falling back onto the mattress. And for a moment they just laid there side by side staring up at the ceiling. Stiles felt more at ease when it was just them two like this. He tries not to think too much about how he's been acting, that's how overthinking begins. Instead, he thinks about Derek. Who was laying beside him just as relaxed as him.

As if he knew what was going on in his head Derek was sighing "You know I love you right?"

"Where did that come from?"

"I can't tell you I love you?"

"Of course you can, I just-" he stopped himself, for once in his life trying to go with the flow " I love you too" without another word Derek rolled over in a huff and pulled Stiles into his arms deeming it time for bed for everyone.

When he woke the next morning it was to a ringing in his head. The bit of light that was shining through the curtains burned his eyes to dust prompting him to hide beneath the sheets. In a fit he kicked at Derek, earning him a groan in return "Close the blinds"

"No you"

"Babbbeee" Derek remained unbothered, and Stile kept himself hidden under the blankets "What time is it?"

"10?"

"Wasn't your sister coming by today-" he attempted to ask but the front door had been slammed shut and Laura was announcing her presence.

"I told you not to give her a key" Derek cried.

She bounded into their room with her usual disregard for boundaries. Stiles burrowed into Derek's side attempting to make himself invisible. But all it really did was make room for her in the bed. She jumped in beside them landing with an extra mount of bounce "Wake up lame asses"

Stiles spoke, while Derek was content to just ignore his sister "Laura, since you are familiar with it I think I should inform you that we are very hung over. So if you could just-"

"Hey, shut up. It isn't my fault you guys promised to hang out with me and forgot"

In a hurry Derek was suddenly up and heading for the bathroom "She isn't leaving any time soon" he grumbled trying to hold down his vomit.

"You finally learned baby brother. I'll see you when you're out"

Then it was just the two of them, Stiles was searching for warmth where Derek once was as he planned to fall back to sleep, but Laura had other plans. She was yanking the covers from his head letting in the blinding light and her blinding smile "Can I help you?"

" So...you and my brother...you guys are pretty serious huh?"

"I don't know Laura. We've been dating for a year and now he's been living with me for a while but I'm not ready to put a label on anything just yet"

"Oh shut up. I just meant you guys are pretty serious"

"Where exactly have you been all this time?" Finally sitting up Stiles let the blanket fall to his side as he tried to get this over with "Laura, what is it you are trying to say?"

"Derek came to me when you guys were fighting, he was pretty upset" Stiles wanted to quickly curl into a ball and hide away again, Laura had known about break down and he had no words "I know it isn't my place but just incase you needed to hear from someone else Derek loves you. I've never seen my brother so gone on someone. He was telling me about you even before he knew you were mates. And since you are going to be a Hale one day I am legally obligated to to be there for you, so I would not lead you astray" stunned to say the lease Stiles just laid there letting Laura peck his cheek before running off towards the kitchen.