Ch. 5

As the night dwindled down Stiles had been ready to call it quits when he looked up and found Derek's eyes on him. He wasn't sure what to call it, fondness, curiosity, mystery. But it was an intent gaze that hadn't let up even as Stiles stared back. Erica was buckled over laughing at whatever ridiculous story she had just finished telling as she slapped Stiles' knee. It drew his attention back to the group and he tried to keep it there.

Stiles made it the rest of the party without a word from Scott, Isaac or even Derek. That night they all eventually left him with goodbyes. Erica and Lydia giving him kisses on the cheeks, hugs from the guys and then he was alone. He considered cleaning up right then and there but was so exhausted he decided to save it for the morning. He packed away what he could before shutting off the final light when he heard rustling. Then he heard running water, and the air dryer in the bathroom going off. And in the blink of an eye Derek was emerging from the direction Stiles was locked on. Stiles had been certain Derek snuck out while talking to Boyd, but he was still there. He stood there on display for Stiles, and Stiles just stared waiting for the man to notice he was still there.

Derek looked around the darkened bakery with a confused smile until his eyes landed on the baker "How long was I in there?" Derek cracked the joke with a smile and Stiles could only laugh nervously and offered a shrug "Where is everyone?" sweat was beading at the tip of Stiles' brow. He had managed to keep from being alone with Derek until this very moment.

The young baker scratched the back of his head then pointed to the parking lot where everyone had just piled into their cars. Derek, with a sort of scared face, nodded to say he understood. Stiles didn't know what to do, he sucked a charades. He moved to turn the sign above the shop off then was picking up the keys. Gesturing over his shoulder this was his way to tell Derek to follow him to the kitchen. The place was all locked up so they would be leaving from the back.

Stiles walked with hurried steps trying to get to the door first and unlock it quickly. He succeeded, and then they were finally outside, the cold November air biting at him, but he didn't care. His body was running so fast and was on such a high alert that he was keeping himself warm. This was supposed to be where they'd part way, Stiles managed to wave a goodbye at Derek to signal to him that it was okay to leave. Stiles turned to locked the door, and when he turned again Derek was still there, hands deep in his pockets bouncing on the balls of his feet. Stiles only stared intriguingly at him and Derek answered in response "I just thought I'd walk you to your car. I mean it is the gentlemen thing to do" he said. Stiles offered a fake grin and hoped this would be over soon. The man gestured for Stiles to walk first, and he did so with a tight smile and a pounding heart. It was a quiet walk, puffs of air surrounding them whenever the other would exhale. Stiles kept his eyes on his feet, it was the only way he thought he could make it through this. A small part of him considered pulling out his phone and pretending to get a call but who'd he be talking too so late at night.

They were rounding the big building, not even halfway to the parking lot when Derek stopped to stare at the other boy "Are you sure you're fine? I mean you've been acting a little strange" Stiles nodded still not speaking, and held his breath in hopes that Derek would accept it as his answer. His silence continued and created an odd level of tension. Stiles was all ready to turn away when Derek shot a hand out to stop him "Do you maybe wanna go out for pizza sometime? Like-Like a date?"

And Stiles' mouth fell open, and snapped shut again. What the hell? he thought.

Stiles had, for months, strayed from conversations with Derek. He never touched Derek, never spoke to Derek, and never laid a finger on him-he was rather impressed with his restraint-and yet Derek was still asking him out. It was almost as if the universe was telling him he'd have to face Derek sometime. Then Derek was scratching at the back of his neck speaking again when Stiles had yet too. His tone was low and nervous "I mean unless you don't want too. I get it, I might not be the best guy to waste a date on but-" he explained with an uneasy laugh.

Stiles cut off Derek's rambling. Was he serious? Stiles let loose in his brain and finally admitted to himself that, yes, Derek was a walking wet dream, an all around good guy that made Stiles realize that perhaps it wasn't Derek himself he hated but the idea of him, the idea of a soul mate He was everything Stiles never knew he wanted in someone. The young baker had just spent so much time convincing himself his soul mate would be a dick he didn't know what to do when the man before him turned out to be a decent real person. He closed himself off, having already accepted not ever having someone to love and Derek came along and in the course of a few months ripped those years of hard work to shreds.

And without helping it the words were ripped from Stiles' mouth. He used to give a lot of thought to what he would say, what would end up leaving his mouth only to be branded on someone for life. He always wanted to make sure it was something epic, something that his future lover could find comfort in. But the moment came and he realized he didn't have time to think up what to say to his soulmate, so he said the first mushy thing that came to mind.

He spoke, because despite the fact that the words forever etched down the side of his rib cage caused him to hurt for so long, Derek was... Derek. He was sweet and kind and hot, he was smart, loyal to a fault and all in all he was just right. So Stiles just spoke, not really able to help himself "You. You, are sickeningly perfect" he slapped a hand over his mouth letting his eyes grow to the size of golf balls as he slowly backed away. And as he did Derek jerked forward a bit trying to make sure what he heard was correct.

"Y-You" Even as Derek spoke, after it was evident that he'd heard the word leave his mouth, Stiles shook his head in denial, hand still clasped firmly over his mouth. He didn't trust himself to speak again, not yet "I-It's you? Oh my god it's you"