Chapter II

~Saturday 14th May 2016~

Reece Greymoore. Shepherd had heard of the name, over and over, and never followed by any slight of compliments. Alpha to the Greymoore pack, Reece took his position seriously within his community. He was revered to wolves all over the globe for his ruthlessness. Reece didn't take well to humans, especially those that believed creatures beyond their own DNA should be eradicated from the planet. The only reason he had yet to be placed in police custody was because he was an excellent businessman. He could talk his way out of anything, using whatever medium suited the situation. Bribes, threats, anything. Nothing was too low for Reece Greymoore.

"It's been a long time, pup," he was still tall. Shepherd found himself more irritated about that than anything. Reece stood at six foot four, with broad shoulders and more muscle than Shepherd could ever hope for. He had been the first man that hadn't tried to use his height over Shepherd as some advantage. He used his stature as a shield, not a sword.

"Don't fucking call me that," Shepherd kept his distance from Reece, fearing what it was that the man wanted from him. It was just over ten years since Shepherd had spent three nights with Reece Greymoore, and he couldn't be sure why the man was there. Shepherd had left unexpectedly, running away with little to no warning, his fright fuelling him. He had been a child, just sixteen, and Reece was an older man. Physically, his aging had stunted at thirty-five, despite the man having lived for a hundred and ten years. A baby, really, but still older than Shepherd. He was the real youth there, he was still aging.

"How did you find me?" Despite Reece's smile sending warmth through Shepherd's chest, he refused to let his guard down. He remained in the doorway to the backroom, aware that the exit behind him was locked but knowing that there was no other option. He wanted to act calmly, keep the satirical air about him, inject humour into the situation. Sadly, he couldn't. He was terrified. He could only be grateful that Reece didn't seem to notice that, not with the poker face he managed to slip onto his expression.

"I'm in the city on business, I heard you lived around here and I looked into you," Reece held up his hands in mock surrender, his smile growing sly, "I'm not here to hurt you, pup, I just want to talk," Shepherd couldn't deny that he missed hearing that pet name. He had locked it away along with all other memories of the time he spent with Reece. The man he remembered was gentle and kind. Reece was still that same man, Shepherd simply had to convince himself of that and the fear fell away so easily. Even if Reece did want to hurt him, he would have no way to stop him. Whatever was to happen that evening was inevitable.

"The last time you saw me, I had tits, Reece," Shepherd countered, his shoulders sagging ever so slightly as he relaxed, "I told you my name was Kole, so you couldn't just look me up," as a gesture of good faith, Shepherd stepped closer, remaining on the other side of the counter but within arm's length of Reece, "will you tell me how you really found me? I spent a lot of time and money making sure you wouldn't, I'd at least like to know where I went wrong," Shepherd bent down to collect his satchel from under the counter, placing the dreamcatcher carefully within. Reece was watching him. He could feel the heat of the man's gaze roaming over his form, leaving trails of fire as he admired Shepherd. At least he was keeping it somewhat professional, rather than touching the warlock immediately. Shepherd wouldn't have stood for that.

"Can I take you somewhere so we can talk? Let me buy you dinner," Shepherd should have known that Reece wasn't going to open up so easily. The man dealt in secrets and lies, he wasn't going to give out the truth just because Shepherd had asked. He was still as stubborn as he had always been, although others might call his nature determination. Shepherd knew better.

"I already ate," no matter how long Shepherd had perfected his ability to lie, there was still a chance to be caught out. That evening, since the gods clearly wanted to screw Shepherd over, they chose that moment to make his stomach rumble. Reece chuckled, slipping his hands into the pockets of the denim jacket that he was wearing, looking awfully triumphant with the timing. Shepherd could only sigh, collecting everything else he needed to take home for the evening and slinging his satchel over his shoulder.