Chapter XXXVIII

~Thursday 18th August 2016~

Shepherd canted his head to the side as he watched his reflection, scrutinising the man looking back at him. Did he look OK? Was everything on correctly? He thought so, but he couldn't stop the little voice in his head telling him to cover up. He swayed his hips slightly, hearing the subtle clinking of the delicate gold chains that hung there, dripping down his body and glittering with evergreen gems. Just like his engagement ring. Personal. Intimate.

It had been a difficult choice for the past few days, one that Shepherd had discussed with Reece over and over until he finally came to a conclusion. He would be shirtless that night. More chains hung from the golden collar around his neck, cascading down his back and torso. They were sparse enough not to conceal any of Shepherd's Wakaath but not so much that he felt entirely naked. His skin was on display, peaking through the chains, and that meant his scars were too. There would be no hiding what he was that night.

He lifted his right hand, flexing his fingers, watching the lighting glint off the rings lining his fingers. His left hand was almost bare, holding only his engagement ring, an homage to his mate. His right held rings passed down from his grandfather, and newer versions too that he had picked up over the years. It had been a long time since he had worn them, he had forgotten how nice they felt on his skin. He adjusted one on his middle finger, straightening the chain that connected it to his gold bracelet and deciding that was it. He wasn't going to change anything else.

He wore no shoes, however, there was a thicker gold band around each ankle, half concealed by the black trousers he was wearing. Gold was his colour, gold and green. A symbol of pack and mate, coupled with heritage and ancestry. Shepherd couldn't have asked for a better combination. Others might wear gold that evening, other obsidian warlocks, but nothing like Shepherd. They would have gems and stones of other shades littered over their forms, all complying with their own packs. No two warlocks would look the same.

"Come here," Shepherd lifted Mischief from the blanket he had fashioned into a bed for him, scratching behind the cub's ears until he heard that content purring. Despite still following Reece's rule of Mischief not normally being allowed into their bedroom, an exception had been made. Just for that night. Whilst Shepherd had been getting ready, Mischief was permitted into the bedroom, although he was still banned from the nest. Shepherd was content with the compromise.

"Mmm, are you nervous too?" Mischief only continued to purr, not a care in the world for what Shepherd was saying. He behaved well, remaining still whilst Shepherd attached a golden collar around his neck, adjusting it so the green garnet would sit centrally over his throat. Not many other warlocks would have familiars that night, that was just going to be another reason for them to stare at Shepherd.

"It'll be OK, they'll love you," Mischief mewled, batting at the chain on Shepherd's hand with his remaining front paw, bringing a smile to the man's lips, "you'll be treated like a king tonight, they'll like you more than me," Shepherd didn't care for the opinions of the other packs he was to meet that night. He knew there would be those that hated him, those that tolerated, and those that might actually find themselves warming to him. It didn't matter. That night wasn't about him. It was about Reece.

"Ma?" A soft knock roused Shepherd from his thoughts, drawing his attention to the bedroom door. Still closed, but Kai was waiting outside. Snowden would be outside with Reece, mingling with other alphas and warlocks, hopefully making more friends than enemies. Because he was the second born, he wasn't as important that night. Eyes would be on Kai, the heir to the Greymoore pack, and Shepherd knew that was worrying the boy. How could he rule as alpha when his wolf hadn't even presented?

"Yeah, come in," no matter what the others thought that night, Snowden and Kai were equals in Shepherd's eyes. Snowden was destined for just as much as Kai, he was to rule over the fae clan nearby, he was to be a king. Whether that was recognised by other alphas or not that night, Shepherd didn't care. It still meant the world to him.

Escape is Only Temporary [boyxboy]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें