Chapter XX

~Sunday 27th June 2016~

"It's only a little further, pup," Reece assured Shepherd, flashing the man a meagre smile. He ached to help Shepherd, to carry him if needs be, rather than watch him struggle. He knew the man was tired, he was just as exhausted. They had barely gotten any sleep the previous night, however, that wasn't what was causing the tension between the two. It was Shepherd's silence that was worrying Reece so much. He had still yet to even look Reece in the eye since they woke up three hours ago. It was driving the wolf insane.

A shiver tumbled down Reece's spine at the memories that he had Shepherd had made the previous night. It had been amazing, for him anyway. There had been moments of desperation, passion, even love. Yet Shepherd hadn't looked so sated that morning when he woke in Reece's arms. The wolf didn't even have a chance to say good morning before Shepherd was picking up his clothes and walking down to the lake to wash. To begin with, he thought that Shepherd was teasing him. He thought it was some sort of badly placed joke that the man was choosing to ignore him in every way. However, when he did catch Shepherd's eye, he realised the severity of the situation. Shepherd regretted what they had done. He could see it in the man's face, in his furrowed brow and pursed lips. He regretted it.

Reece blamed himself. Shepherd had been on some emotional bender, experiencing one of the most painful lows just days before, and Reece took advantage of that. He should have stopped himself, should have kept the distance with Shepherd, anything. Anything to prevent the man from hating him. He wanted to apologise, to beg for Shepherd's forgiveness, but the words wouldn't come. How could he apologise for one of the best nights of his life? How could he apologise for loving his own mate?

"Here," Reece shrugged off his jacket, draping it over Shepherd's shoulders when he noticed the man was shivering. The sun was dropping low in the sky, and the evening chill was rolling in. He would have preferred to warm Shepherd himself, holding him or carrying him since he was evidently trying so hard to hide the limp that was bothering him. However, he knew there would only be an argument if he asked. Maybe that would be a good thing. If there was anything he could ever hate about Shepherd, it was his silence. It just cut too deep.

Shepherd only nodded politely when Reece gave him his jacket, muttering quiet thanks as he slipped his arms into the sleeves. Reece had half expected Shepherd to recoil from the overwhelming scent of lavender, however, he didn't. That had to be a good sign. He wasn't rejecting Reece, not entirely. That at least calmed his wolf, allowing it to settle for the first time that day. Still, it was whining lowly, huffing out frustrated breaths as Reece ignored the desire to move closer to his mate.

As much as he would have liked to stay in the forest longer with Shepherd, there was a storm coming. Not to mention, they hadn't gotten very far on foot, and Reece still knew that Shepherd would be safer with his pack. They were close to where Reece had set to meet with Aris and Tavien, a rest stop that contained only a small motel and adjoining restaurant. They would stay there for the night then drive the rest of the way to Reece's territory. Hopefully, by the next morning, Shepherd might be more willing to talk. Reece wasn't going to push him, however, he wasn't sure how long he was going to be able to stay quiet around his mate. Especially when he was with his pack.

When Shepherd stumbled for the third time, Reece caved. He scooped the man into his arms, ignoring the frail protests and squirming, not wanting Shepherd to be any more injured because of his own pride. Reece shot the man a look of warning, a low growl rumbling in his chest that finally had Shepherd going limp. He didn't look happy about his position, however, Reece felt him start to relax, leaning closer against the wolf. It wasn't long before his breathing shifted, becoming much softer, indicating that he had drifted to sleep. Good. He needed it.