Chapter XIV

~Sunday 12th June 2016~

"You never told me I was your first," Reece couldn't hold it in anymore, unable to stop himself from bringing up the topic that he had heard Shepherd discussing with Elora the other day in the store. All those years ago, Reece had simply thought that Shepherd was nervous. He thought that was why the man wanted to go slow, because he had so many issues with his body at the time, because Reece was a stranger. Because of a thousand different reasons, all that parted now for the truth. Shepherd had given Reece his virginity that second night, and the wolf hadn't even noticed.

"Didn't think it mattered," Shepherd's eyes shifted from Reece to Aris and Tavien in the front of the car, not nervously, more just checking that they weren't listening so obviously. Maybe it wasn't the best time for that conversation, and Reece would apologise later, however, he just couldn't help himself anymore. He thought he knew Shepherd inside and out when, really, the man was still alluding him.

"Why? I thought virginity was sacred to warlocks," hearing Shepherd's scoff, Reece knew his assumption was wrong. Misinformation that he should have ignored since it didn't come directly from the man himself. Rumors spread faster than the truth, and Reece should have known not to listen.

"Witches. Virginity is sacred to witches," Shepherd corrected, shifting in his seat ever so slightly to cross his legs, resting his hands delicately atop his thigh, "it means nothing to warlocks. We value sex. A lack of it is just stupid," Reece wondered if Shepherd's harsh tone meant that he was angry, although, he doubted that was the case. Shepherd didn't get irritable for no reason. He was likely just tired. Ever since the twins had been taken to Reece's pack, Shepherd's sleep had been troubled. He was restless during the night, with no amount of dreamcatchers able to prevent the infection of horrors plaguing him when he closed his eyes. Reece tried his best to help, however, there wasn't much he could do. Shepherd was on edge, fearing for his sons' safety, and no matter of reassurance from Reece could change that.

"The first can be good for some rituals but it's not that important," Shepherd shrugged plainly, leaning into Reece's side when Aris took a particularly sharp corner off the main road and onto a less developed track, "I didn't tell you because it didn't mean anything to me. I'm not religious, and I'm not a witch, so it was just sex," Reece knew that was a lie. If there was one thing he could infer from Shepherd's body language, it was his mistruths. There were signs, signs that he wouldn't ever reveal to Shepherd, that proved he was omitting information or twisting facts. It was just sex. That was one of the most obvious lies that Shepherd had told since Reece had found him after all those years.

"It's different for wolves," Aris chimed in, glancing in the rearview mirror, catching Reece's eye, asking permission before he continued with his point, "not necessarily the loss of virginity but the first time with your mate, it's sacred," Reece caught the tail end of Shepherd's eye roll, and it stuck with him. He knew Shepherd felt for him, dearly, just as he adored the man, however, he also knew that the warlock was nowhere near comfortable enough to admit it. Everything was too soon, or too fast, or just the wrong time. One day, that wouldn't be the case anymore. One day, Shepherd would finally tell Reece how he really felt, and that would be a day to really cherish.

"Everything's different for wolves," Shepherd countered, thankfully sounding less harsh than before, "you're animals at heart, everything revolves around mating. Natural instinct is more prominent in your kind," Shepherd glanced to his right, checking on Juda, who was sleeping with his head against the window, and had been for the majority of the car journey, "I've been to your claiming ceremonies, they're... Eye-opening," Reece chuckled, seeing the beginnings of a smile twitching at the corners of Shepherd's lips too. Eye-opening was probably the best description for claiming ceremonies, especially for outsiders. As an alpha, Reece had officiated more than enough within his pack and, in doing so, had bared witness to the intimacies of many of his wolves. It reminded him of yet another fear that had bloomed since finding out about his pups, he really didn't want to have to watch his own sons' ceremonies. The thought alone made him shiver.