Chapter IV

~Thursday 19th May 2016~

"Have you seen my phone?" Shepherd asked, passing by Porter as he checked the dresser across from their bed. He always left it there to charge overnight, however, he just couldn't seem to find it. Normally, he had other reasons to blame, this time, he wondered if he might have just lost the plot entirely. Ever since the night with Reece, he had felt... Off. He knew it had to do with the use of his powers, he wasn't accustomed to performing so much with them. Hopefully, the effect wouldn't last too much longer - Shepherd didn't want Porter to find out.

"You left it downstairs, I put it on charge before I came to bed," Porter looked up from the shoelace he had finished tying, flashing Shepherd a beaming smile, "what would you ever do without me?" Porter's smile was contagious. Usually, Shepherd would return the favour with ease, however, he just wasn't feeling it that morning. He did smile, but it wasn't real. There was nothing genuine about the expression, no emotion behind the action. If he couldn't get his mood under control, he really was going to have to contact Reece again to discuss what had happened. That would be the last resort, Shepherd didn't want to speak with Reece otherwise.

"How long are you staying at the studio?" Shepherd glanced toward the duffle bag that Porter had packed just after they got up that morning. It was normal in their house for Shepherd to be left alone for days at a time. Porter's job involved long projects that could go on for even more than a week on some occasions, however, it meant that he actually got to spend more time at home than normal. Once a month, he would leave their house and work on those projects in his studio. It was easier that way, he could focus there without any distractions. Shepherd liked the arrangement, it gave them space when they needed it, and he could always visit Porter in the studio if he so desired.

"Could be up to two weeks," Porter rose from the bed, guilt dripping into his expression, "I'm sorry," he added, drawing closer to Shepherd and resting a hand on the man's hip, "I'll make it up to you, petal," Shepherd tried to react as he normally would when Porter kissed him, responding and moving with the man even though the embrace was only brief. The pet name had bothered him. It reminded him of Reece, and Shepherd didn't want to think about the man anymore. It was as though he couldn't escape him, as if time had rewound and he was back in his youth again, haunted by the man's eyes.

"Do you want me to drop you off?" Porter asked, peppering gentle kisses to Shepherd's cheeks, causing laughter to bubble up from within the man. No matter his mood, Porter always had his ways of cheering Shepherd up like no one else could.

"Yeah," Shepherd pushed a few stray strands of Porter's honey blonde curls out of his face, still smiling at the man. He loved Porter. No matter what feelings he might have once had for Reece, he loved Porter. He knew that. It was set in stone. There was no question about it. He loved Porter and he was going to marry the man soon. Reece's little favour was over and done with, he would leave the city soon, and all sense of doubt within Shepherd would dissipate. He could finally return to normality.

"Snow's out with Kai, isn't he?" Shepherd followed Porter downstairs, already knowing the answer to his question without asking. Still, it was best to keep track of the two boys, since they could get into more than enough mischief if left unsupervised. Really, they should have been in school. Shepherd had pulled them out a few months ago due to multiple bullying instances. It wasn't worth it. He could teach them what they needed and Porter was happy to help with that. They were safer at home, in their care, so that was how Shepherd preferred it.

"Should be," Porter passed Shepherd his phone when they entered the kitchen, collecting his car keys along the way, "don't you want them to come with you today? It might be good for them," Porter always gave Shepherd a choice. Nothing he ever said was strictly opinionated. In some ways, Shepherd liked that. It prevented the majority of their fights, however, it got on his nerves sometimes. Porter could beat around the bush too much, prolonging the conversation because he wouldn't just say what he wanted to outright. Sometimes, it was just easier for people to be blunt... Like Reece. Great, he was comparing them now. Shepherd had to get a hold of himself.