Chapter XXII

~Thursday 30th June 2016~

Soft chimes of piano keys played in the bedroom, some classical song that Shepherd found soothing days ago but was beginning to grate on his nerves. It was a reminder that Reece hadn't woken yet, not since the fight. He was still laid there on the bed, unmoving apart from the peaceful rise and fall of his chest. Sometimes, Shepherd would find himself curled up beside his love, head resting over the man's heart just to ensure that it didn't stop. He was going to wake up, Shepherd knew that. It was the when that was in question.

Shepherd could often be found talking to Reece during his spare time. For the first day, he hadn't left the man's side. His injuries were extensive; lashes through his muscle from his opponent's claws, large chunks of flesh having been ripped out and shattered bones that required surgical aid. Shepherd performed everything. He didn't trust anyone else to perform the task successfully. It was more than he had done before, however, he had stabilised Reece. All they were waiting for now was the man to wake.

Shepherd hadn't been the most receptive the night that Reece had been injured. For the most part, he ignored all reason. He didn't care for his own wound, a rush of adrenaline having sent him to his knees beside Reece as he assessed the worst of his love's injuries. It was only when Beau pulled him away, raising his voice like Reece did when the warlock wasn't listening, warning Shepherd that he was going to bleed out himself if he didn't stop that he finally put himself first. Shepherd had needed that. Although there had been a moment of silence that night, with the other wolves waiting for Shepherd to lash out at Beau, he had needed to be shaken. He wouldn't have been able to save Reece if he passed out from blood loss.

"More scars," Shepherd murmured to himself, unravelling the thick bandage around Reece's right calf. There was a large bite mark there, the arch of it almost wrapping around the entirety of the man's leg, puncture marks dotted in perfect rows to imitate the other alpha's teeth. Sander, that was the alpha's name. Shepherd had learnt that from the three other wolves that had been present that night. The warlock had gone by the name Isaias, not that Shepherd cared for him. The bodies were already burnt, just ashes in the wind now. And Shepherd felt no remorse for the choice he had made.

There was one choice that bothered him. He hadn't burnt Isaias. He had followed warlock tradition and buried the man's body, although it wasn't for any spiritual necessity. It was selfish, actually. As much as Shepherd wanted to watch flames consume the body of the traitorous warlock, the man who would dare to harm his own kind, he couldn't. There was a better purpose. The tree in the courtyard, Isaias was buried beneath, his power feeding the feeble willow as it crawled it's way back from the brink of death. It would need tending to for years to come, a close eye to watch and ensure that the magic was working correctly, but Shepherd didn't mind. At least it had given him something to focus on in the past few days.

Shepherd had been given a lot of responsibility around the pack since Reece wasn't conscious or capable of leading them. He was the alpha's mate, claimed or not, and that meant he was in even a higher position than Cameron. For the most part, Cameron was still leading the pack, however. Shepherd wasn't an official member, nor did he have extensive knowledge of wolf politics. It was easier to allow Cameron to deal with the majority of tasks and only have the final say in some decisions. Even then, it was getting to be a little too much for him.

"Hey," Beau spoke softly as he lingered in the doorway to the bedroom, wearing a smile that just screamed sympathy, "how's he doing?" Shepherd liked Beau. He had learnt from Cameron that Beau had been the beta of the pack when William had been in power. Which was likely one of the reasons that Reece had reacted so viciously when he found that Kai was his mate. Beau was older than Reece, with almost two hundred years on the man, and had been a father figure to the man for most of his life. It was going to be a bizarre change of events for Beau to be his son-in-law if Kai ever chose to marry.