Chapter 5

(Liam's Point of View)

    Her eyes closed as soon as I asked her what her name was. 

"NO! Answer me please!" I shouted. At this point I was freaking out. I picked up my phone and quickly dialled 9-1-1

"Hello 9-1-1 operator, what is your emergency?"

"Yes hello, erm I'm here in the back of a school with a girl who was just beat up and I think she's dying. She's closed her eyes and won't answer me please help me" I replied, talking very fast and you could hear the shaking in my voice.

"Sir, where is your location?" 

I hesitated a bit. I didn't know where I was. I quickly ran towards the front of the school and found the school's name.

"Wolverhampton High School please help me!" I spoke loudly.

"Okay sir, please calm down, an ambulance should be there soon" she replied.

Then she hung up. I freaked out for a while, constantly checking if the girl was still breathing, until I heard an ambulance. The paramedics came towards us, placing the helpless girl onto the gurney and carrying her to the ambulance. I climbed in, but the paramedics stopped me first.

"Are you family?"

"No, but I must go with her"

"Do you know her?"

"Well... not technically. But why do you need to know somebody to care for them?"

That made the one paramedic smile as he let me in.

We drove to the hospital, which took about 20 minutes. I wasted my time watching the poor girl. I was relived when I slowly saw her chest moving up and down, because I knew that meant she was breathing. 

My cell phone left a big flash when I got a message from my mum asking me where I was. Something caught my vision. It was sharp, metal, and small, kind of like a blade. That's exactly what it was. I gasped in horror. Such a beautiful girl was harming her precious skin? To make sure my hypothesis was correct, I reached out towards her arm, flipped it over, and rolled up her sleeve. I jumped back in surprise when many ugly lines and scratches were revealed. 

I quietly rolled her sleeve back down and reached towards her pocket, where her blade was visible. With a very careful and swift movement, I took her blade and hid it deep in my pocket. My eyes traveled around the area, looking for a pencil and paper. I found a trashcan that had nothing but paper in it, then knocked on the small window that let me communicate with the drivers and asked them for a pen. They didn't hesitate, the paramedic in the partner seat handed me a blue pen.

I held the paper on my thigh, and the blue pen in my right hand, thinking of what to write. When I finally knew what to say, I actually moved my pen, creating words.

Hey love, please don't hurt yourself, you're perfect. 

555-6258

~Liam Payne

I folded the note so it was small enough to fit in her pocket. Then I hid it deep in her pocket. My eyes traveled to her backpack, which I had taken before we got onto the ambulance. My mind was telling me to leave her alone and respect her privacy, my heart was telling me to go through her bag. You know what they always say...

Follow your heart.

I searched her back pack, looking for any other blades or harmful weapons. I found a couple more, so I took them and hid those in my pocket too. We finally arrived at the hospital, and they carried the girl down to the entrance in the gurney. They gave her a room and I sat in the hallway while they hooked up machine by machine, sticking needles into her skin, and trying their hardest to wake her up.

A couple hours later, I heard a familiar scared scream coming from the room that she was in.

One of the doctors stepped out into the hallway to greet me.

"Liam Payne?"

I stood up from the seat. "Yes?" I replied.

The doctor bit his lip.

"She's alive."