Prologue

"And I will be your bravest knight!" Willem announced excitedly as he thrust the end of his stick into a block of hay; his fierce opponent

"And I will be your bravest knight!" Willem announced excitedly as he thrust the end of his stick into a block of hay; his fierce opponent. We'd been playing Swords & Horses since just after sunrise. Dreaming of our futures, imagining... Joyful games for joyful children six and nine.

The sun was higher now, and it was nearly time to start my day with Miss Hellveig. But I didn't want to go. I wanted to hide here forever, twirling the swan feather he'd given me, seeking animals out in the morning clouds, and watching my Knight's rowdy blond curls dance with his gallant display.

Even at six, I knew I was in love.

"I see, Ser Willem," I teased him, brushing the loose grass from my dress. I stood off the stable floor to perch proudly behind him, watching him swing. "A noble knight for a noble queen."

"Aye." He was lost in the battle before him, practicing the flourishes he'd watched Ser Elías; our real knight demonstrate a week before. Very unaware of the creeping blush on my face.

"Ser Willem?" I asked, tapping his shoulder.

He turned around and quickly furrowed his brow. "Why does your face look like that? Are you unwell? Should I fetch my father? He's jus-"

"No!" It grew hotter. "W-What do you mean why does my face look like this?"

"It's... red. And twisty."

"Twisty?" I stuttered through a few more starts before adjusting coldly and straightening my back. "That's just my face," I assured him.

The stick settled to his side now as he backed down. "You should get to your lessons, Princess. It's late."

"I don't want to go," I said. My eyes lifted to his, an emphasis on the dramatic difference in height between us. "I prefer to stay here. With you."

"Aye, but you're not Queen yet, and Miss Hellveig is not the nicest Governess you've had."

"No, Ser. She is not," I hummed anxiously. "She's quite mean." I was trying to make him laugh but a pained noise left his mouth in response.

"Ehh. I beg you, Your Highness. Don't tease me anymore. I know it's just a game."

"In what manner do I tease you, Ser Willem?"

"In that. With the 'Ser.' I promise you, I know; it's just a game."

"Your dreams are not a game, Se-" I stopped myself. I'd become so habitually infatuated with our early adventures, it was difficult to break away from the name. "-Willem."

"I-"

"When I am Queen," I rocked on my heel, gathering my hands in front of me. "You will be my bravest knight."

A crooked smile formed at the corner of his mouth, "Is that right?" And as I bit my lip, he tentatively met my eyes.

"For a price," I swiftly added.