Chapter Twenty-One

"Don't get on too far ahead!" Cyrus called

"Don't get on too far ahead!" Cyrus called. He trotted up next to me, closer than usual, apparently completely uninterested in decorum or what Willoughby or Josie might think, as he took the lower portion of Isaac's reins and pulled them back to slow her down.

I pursed my lips. "Beg your pardon!"

"You're getting ahead again," he said. He looked around at the forest that lined the solemn path.

"You're the one who chose to ride Edith, don't be angry I have the faster horse," I grumbled.

"Is that what you think I'm doing?" he frowned.

"They were just pickpockets," I whined. "I can't imagine they're hiding in the trees!"

"Svana," Willoughby nodded. "Surely you can forgive the man for being careful with your safety," he said. "There's no harm in being cautious."

"Harm or not," I yanked the strap free. "I can instruct my own horse."

"Fine," Cyrus sat up. "But when she bucks you, don't cry to me."

"I won't cry at all, I'm not a child!" I scoffed.

"Then don't act like one!" he struck Edith's back, guiding her ahead of us, and directly in front of Ice. When I tried to parry around him, he gestured to her, and she slowed down at his command.

"Stop it!" I spat.

"I thought you could instruct your own horse?" A smug grin threatened the peace between us.

"Cyrus," Willoughby purred.

They shared a look, and reluctantly, my swordsman moved to the side. I took my place back next to him and scowled, very deeply indeed.

"Should we be paying more attention to the weather?" Josie asked. The three of us looked back at her at once, dumbly following her as she pointed to the canopy.

Through the tiny pockets of light, we saw that the clouds had begun to darken, and, because only in that moment could it have happened, a loud roar out of the sky shocked all of us, even the horses- but especially mine.

The four of them responded in various stages of fear, with Cyrus, followed by Willoughby able to handle their steeds best. My knight tried to settle Josie's, but both Tails, and Ice reacted, casting their hooves into the air one after the other and practically howling, setting each other off.

Josie fell and Willoughby dismounted to help her, but Ice- Despite my ability to somehow remain fixed to her, clambered off the path and took flight, spiriting me away.