Chapter Eight

I awoke with a serious lack of zest that felt exactly on par for how late I'd stumbled into my bed

I awoke with a serious lack of zest that felt exactly on par for how late I'd stumbled into my bed. And everything about this morning felt taxing. The hour of rest I'd stolen; knowing I'd have to face Sam at some point; deciding if I should tell Elías about the affair he was having, or if it would be too much work convincing him not to stab the Crowned Prince of Chalke.

Even my feet were sore.

Josie opened the curtains allowing the sun to blind me. She was too chipper and she moved with a melody that only made sense, because I now knew she had likely seen a certain knight by now.

"Time to rise, Miss Svana!" she beamed.

She kept humming as she helped me out of the bed and rolled the blankets down.

"His Royal Highness has requested you to break your fast with him," she buzzed. "On the balcony, no less. So romantic."

"Is it?" I asked. "Who eats on a balcony?"

"Don't be so. We wouldn't want him to think your mood is anything more than a distaste for the hour."

"Speak for yourself," I muttered.

"Are you...? Did something happen?" She stooped like a wounded animal. "I thought-?"

"No," I countered, now burdened not to ruin her light. "No. Of course, not. I'm fine. Just not a morning person, as you said." I could conjure no excuse as to why I'd lied to Josie, beyond a battered pride.

"Oh." She regained her momentum and after browsing through the closet, produced the pale yellow skirt I so very much liked. "The flowers on your desk are his doing as well."

I turned to glare distastefully at the vase of daisies, rudely manifested.

Sam stood as soon as I entered the room that connected to the deck

Sam stood as soon as I entered the room that connected to the deck. His chair scratched across the stone and nearly fell with how quick he was to greet me.

"Princess," he called. With a flat hand he motioned for the opposing end of the table. I wasn't sure if it was original to its location or if he had dragged it out in another attempt at flattery.