Chapter Fifteen

In the morning, Jocelyn was a mess, rioting around the bedchamber as she tore herself between two outfits she'd wanted to wear

In the morning, Jocelyn was a mess, rioting around the bedchamber as she tore herself between two outfits she'd wanted to wear. "I could never!" she cried, clutching one and then the other. "Are you sure?"

"Wear whatever makes you feel best," I told her. "You are doing me such a favor."

"By spending the day with you and the world's most handsome knight?" she whined. "I only wish you'd asked sooner."

"Josie," I said pointedly. "Go with the lavender. It brings out your eyes."

"Do you think?"

"I know," I said, surely. "And I really like the orange for myself."

She started to strip, replacing her clothes with mine. When it came to the back, she made a noise.

"I'll tie it," I told her.

Josie chirped, nervously. "This feels wrong," she said. "I should be dressing you."

"I'm already dressed," I reminded her.

"Still, I-"

"Hush. Why should this feel wrong?"

"For one, you're the Princess," she hummed.

"Aye, but are dresses really made for one person in particular?"

"In this case, yes."

"I'm realizing  ...this is the first instance we've spent time together." I drew the binding tighter around her chest, bringing her hand to her ribs. "Aside from town."

"I admit I... I wasn't sure you were serious, inviting me. You're far more approachable away from Ísfjall." She had braced herself, as if saying that might harm me. When I only quirked a brow, she sighed modestly, admiring the mirror. "Back home, I never imagined sharing clothes with Princess Svana. Thank you for enlisting me."

"...Thank you for agreeing to be enlisted. I know Eli can come off... Well you did call him a gargoyle. But, I assure you. It's all a show. The man would never actually hurt anyone. Well. Perhaps that's not a good reassurance. He was in the war. And he is sworn to protect my father and I... at all costs.... But I wouldn't worry about him. Outside of his oath; he'd never harm a fly. Least of all you. When he figures out I've recruited you, he will be angry at me. Not you."

"You mean if?"

"No," I laughed. "I mean when. But you'll be fine."

She frowned. "Well. I am happy to be here. Not just for Willoughby."

"You mean 'Daniel'- and, I'll believe that when I wake up a moose. On to business! I don't want to come off monstrous, but at some point you and Ser Willoughby must talk. Not the whole trip, of course, but some time. And alone. Perhaps a walk? He expressed wanting to be outdoors as much as possible." I slid the braid she wore over her shoulder, smoothing the end of it neatly. "Then I may have time alone with Cyrus."