Chapter Twenty-Three

The first day, I wallowed in my chamber, citing a stomach ache

The first day, I wallowed in my chamber, citing a stomach ache. The second; much of the same, though Elías came and played chess with me. He reminded me the importance of 'hiding in plain sight' and said that if I didn't leave my quarters soon, people might associate my dismay with a certain swordsman's disappearance. His suggestion was to spend time with my fiancé and keep up the façade.

For Oreia. For Chalke. And for my sanity.

He was unfortunately right, so on the third day, I peeled myself out of the sheets long enough to take a bath. Though, I hadn't needed to venture too far out into the Palace before Sam found me himself. He'd even brought me a desserty kind of biscuit he'd ordered in town and told me the sugary treat had always aided him on the road to recovery in his youth.

So. Reluctantly; for Oreia, Chalke, and my sanity, I spent the day in a florist's shop with him. Staring at flowers for our ceremony and trying not to sneeze. And on Day Four, I sulked again, but internally.

In the afternoon, I stood in front of Isaac's stall, squaring my shoulders her way, and dismissing Willoughby's nay-saying about taking her out without Mr. Evergreen.

"Now you listen here!" I told her, quite determinedly. "Our Cyrus has abandoned us, it's just you and I. You understand?"

"And Dan Willoughby," Willoughby added. "I'm here, too."

"Quiet, Willoughby," I hissed over my shoulder. Back to her, I sighed. "I'm going to ride you, and you're not going to be upset about it, right?"

She blinked, and I wasn't sure if that was compliance or not. So we just stared at one another, in a silent, possible-competition before I broke it to unpin her.

"Alright," I said. "Let's go."

Ice was not happy to be ridden. She made every sound a horse should be expected to make, for better and for worse, and she, I'll admit got the better of me a few times, nearly casting me into the grass like a doll.

But I came back... With Ser Willoughby, but day after day, and sometimes in the evening hours. To poke around, to casually inquire about Mr. Evergreen with Henry, and to show that bratty horse that I was not going anywhere despite her best efforts.

No, she was stuck with me. Unlike a certain forever-tree who couldn't be bothered to check in!

For all I knew he was dead! Lost in the Oreian desert, or!

On the tenth day, Josie, my knight, and I discovered that Ice had a soft spot for the peppermint plant that grew about a mile off the lot. She kept burying her snout into the weed, to root around in its flavor, and refused to let up. 

Even with Willoughby's encouragement, my very stern voice, and Josie's sweet melody. Nothing could dissuade her. In this particular instant, I tugged her bridle too obnoxiously for her taste, for she felt the need to do something about it. I was very much unprepared. She slung me off of her, fully winding me as the dirt and I made fast friends!