Chapter Sixteen

A little after we had finished, we found ourselves trudging through the forest next to where we'd sat

A little after we had finished, we found ourselves trudging through the forest next to where we'd sat. Cyrus led the way, his boots crushing the sticks and scattered leaves of this uncharted sect, and just when I had decided to call attention to how convinced I was we were lost, he stopped, sweeping his hand out to show us the prize for our efforts.

A lake. Or pond, whatever the difference was, living beneath rock and trees. He was too proud of himself, having brought us here without the assistance of a map, and his grin was not going to let us go on without first praising him. "Well?" he insisted.

"It's lovely," I said. "Not sure it was worth the mile it took to get here, but-"

"We should go swimming!" Josie sang. Her eyes were alight but then she caught the implication of that suggestion as both Willoughby and I turned to her, strangely afflicted with matching expressions.

"Swimming?" I asked. "How would we-?"

Cyrus snapped his fingers at her idea, excited. "A clever woman," he laughed. He weaseled out of his jacket and tossed it to the side. My knight and I became hyper-aware of where this was going.

"Are you alright with this?" he asked me, hushed, and politely touching my arm, to turn me from the stripping man beside us. I glanced over, happy to find that he had left his undershirt and pants on, but absolutely stricken by the sight. I blinked, awed, closing my mouth and then found Willouhgby again just as Cyrus ran and leapt into the pond; a loud splash.

Josie was less faithful to her own suggestion, leaving most of her clothes on, and only losing the uppermost layer. I was surprised to find that his eyes never left mine to look at her, until I answered. "I'm fine with it," I told him.

I wasn't sure what his face was trying to convey, but he relaxed, agreeing. "Let's leave this bit out with Elías, then, yeah?"

"Oh, God!" I cried, pulling my vest off. "If Elías knew I was about to get into the water with the three of you!" The idea was hilarious. Hilariously bad. "Well, he'd at least murder you," I explained. "Definitely Cyrus." I stopped with my shift, but I did not cannonball into the water like Willoughby did, and I didn't laugh like Josie. I stepped timidly towards the very end of the rocky bed, and waited. "He might spare Josie and I."

"Get in the water, Swan," Cyrus called to me, treading impatiently.

"Is it cold?" I asked.

"You can swim right?" he asked.

"Of course I can swim," I muttered. "Is it cold?" I didn't actually care. I just hesitated getting into the water because... Well because. I didn't know why I couldn't. Fear? Embarrassment? Elías?

Josie splashed the two of them and they turned to retaliate, leaving my attention. I crossed my arms, maybe a little harmed by the diversion but my discontent was easily caught by the swordsman's eye. He panted, forgetting the uproar that Willoughby still found himself in and watched me. Expectantly.