Chapter Twenty Two - And I Called His Name

"Whose name do you find yourself calling when you're in trouble?"

“This might sound like a dumb question, but what am I supposed to wear?” I asked, rifling through my wardrobe, passing by the various pairs of shorts, jeans and shirts. “I have a few dresses, but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be really cold,” I mumbled.

Ella threw herself backwards onto my bed sighing. Of course she’d be tired – one hour of reasoning with my parents would be tiring; particularly, convincing them to let me go to a party that would end in the early hours of the morning.

“It’s a party, not a business dinner,” she groaned. She forcefully decided that she would be coming over to help me pick an outfit; I’d hardly say she was being particularly helpful. Suddenly, she sat upright, an idea striking her. “You got anything orange? You look fab in orange!”

“Orange? Really?”

“Remember that orange dress you wore to our year ten social? You looked amazing!”

“Like amazing orange,” I corrected.

Ella got up and sorted through my wardrobe herself. Her black skater skirt sashayed back and forth, feeling the same enthusiasm as she was. It was my turn to flop down on the bed. There were butterflies zooming back and forth, looping around in my stomach; the feelings I thought that only arose before assessments were there to plague me.

“Found it!” She beamed. She dragged out a black and white stripy woollen dress that I’d bought last year. “Casual, but very classy,” she grinned.

There was a reason it’d been sitting in the back of my wardrobe. It was fairly tight, and over the past year, my figure hadn’t really taken a turn for the better. But oh well, no one would notice anyway.

I shooed her outside and got changed. I turned around and looked in the mirror. It was semi-decent, I supposed. You could kind of make out a semi-dip where my waist was.

 “Done?” She chimed, every thirty seconds or so.

“Yeah, gosh, patience woman,” I replied, opening the door.

She gave me a huge thumbs up, whipping out her makeup bag. “No,” I said, taking a few steps back.

“It’ll only be some mascara, and maybe a teeny bit of eyeliner!”

“No.”

“Come on!”

“No.”

“Pleeeaaaseee,” she whined.

“Fine.”

I sat down and braced myself as she worked her magic. Ten minutes later, I looked about the same as I always had, except maybe you could actually see my eyelashes for once, and I looked semi racoon like.

Just when I thought we’d never actually make it to the party, Ella decided to leave. As it turned out, Carla’s house was within walking distance. So we walked. I was glad the ballet flats were comfortable, because it was further than Ella had so horribly estimated.

It wasn’t hard to spot the house. There were cars scattered along the path and on the lawn. It was a cream bricked two-story house. Two columns supported the top balcony, framing the arched glass door.

Dean opened the door. “Hey! Thought you’d never make it,” he yelled over the booming music. He looked over his shoulder. “I don’t know where they’ve gone, but they’re somewhere around here,” he said to me. I nodded. “Wanna go get a drink?” He asked Ella.

Ella looked over at me and I grinned. “You sure?” She asked.

“Go, or I’ll kick your ass,” I replied. They weaved through the crowds of people as the strobe lights darted back and forth across the walls.

My eyes wondered to the white tiled staircase that spiralled up to the second floor. Even though the house was packed from wall to wall, and it was dark as hell, I could tell the house was massive. The only other house I’d seen that could rival this was Archer’s.

I spotted Ace and Hunter coming down the staircase, laughing as Carla said something. Dylan said something to the DJ and darted off.

“Let’s continue that conversation from earlier,” came the voice. I turned, recognising Alec immediately. I glanced over at the staircase, but Ace and Hunter were nowhere to be seen again.

Alec came closer, and I backed away, bumping into people who grunted as I pushed past. Waves of strange faces drowned me, my heart rate rising as I tried taking slow and steady breaths.

“I’m not keen on talking,” I said, finally stopping near the window.

He swung an arm over my shoulder. “How much do you think this would hurt your boys?” He laughed. I weaved out from under his arm.

“Not much,” I answered firmly, still desperately searching for a familiar face.

“And what makes you think that?” He threw his arm over my shoulder again.

“Hunter’s done worse.”

“Has he?” Alec replied, raising an eyebrow, intrigued. “And what exactly has he done, that would be worse?”

I weaved out from under his arm again, taking a few more steps back. “He’s torn up my textbooks, and publicly humiliated me,” I recalled, suddenly wondering why I hadn’t harboured a grudge all this time. “Hurting me won’t hurt them.”

Alec laughed. “Not that kind of hurt, dear.” He pointed to the right of his chest.

“Breathing pain in the right lung?”

He laughed again. “The heart.”

“It’s on the left.”

“Oh.”

“If you’re hoping to inflict the same sort of pain they apparently inflicted on you, it’s not going to work. Maybe try Carla,” I shrugged. “Also, it takes two to tango. Dylan didn’t just seduce your girlfriend, and I’m fairly certain he didn’t assault her, so you can spread the blame.”

His jaw tightened, but he relaxed again, breathing out. He swung his arm around my shoulder again.

“Stop touching me,” I snarled, backing out again.

“Let’s disprove my theory then shall we? What do you think they’ll do if I can make you scream? How do you think they’d react if I were to, I don’t know, kiss you?”

The same crazed look I’d seen before came back. He had some serious beef with the guys, and he was settling it in the wrong way. “They won’t react. Don’t waste your time,” I said quickly. I backed away, fumbling and tripping over people’s feet, stumbling.

“Where are your knights now?”

The strange faces glared and stared. My back reached the wall and I halted. My body stiffened, all logic and reasoning overcome by immense terror. There was no one. The sea of blank faces came closer and closer. Alec advanced. There was no one I knew. The figures contorted. My breathing was shallow and sharp, digging into my lungs and chest.

Before I knew it, I had pressed myself against the wall, and screamed, “Help! Ace!"

~

Whoo new chap at the cost of my grades ;D Please vote & comment if you enjoyed!

Updates will tend to be slow because my academic life begs my attention (although I spend most of my time procrastinating anyway).