Prologue || There Is A Thin Line Between Love And Hate

𝐑 𝐎 𝐒 𝐀 𝐋 𝐈 𝐄 ' 𝐒    𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

There is a thin line between love and hate...or so everyone says.

A wise person once said love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind. If that is the case, I would choose Roman King to be in my mind rather than my heart any day of the week, no matter the circumstances. My heart he can stay far away from.

One thing I know for sure is that the feelings I have for Roman King definitely fall on the side of hate. That "thin" line people talk about, imagine if it was visible. It would be as thick as can be, with Roman and I on opposite sides, as far away from the line and each other as humanly possible. That "thin" line is something neither of us will ever cross, not even if we are the last two people on this earth.

If I hear about that thin line one more time, I'll jump over it and strangle Roman.

Our mutual hatred of one another has led up to this exact moment in time. The calculating eyes of Coach Henderson flicker back and forth between Roman and I—his hands clasped so tightly together that they could break a walnut—as we stand on the opposite side of the desk in Coach's office. The vein on his forehead tenses as he looks across from where he sits behind his desk, contemplating his next move.

However, it is hard to take him seriously when he is wearing pajamas with hockey sticks on them. My eyes flicker to the clock behind him, up on the wall. The time reads 12:30, which explains why both Roman and Coach Henderson turned up in their pajamas. A stark contrast to my all black attire that while helps me blend into the darkness of the night gives off the impression of a burglar.

Silence reigns through the Boston University hockey arena. The office light being the only sign of life throughout the entire 290,000 square foot arena. That, and the security guard who caught me will now be searching the arena for my partner in crime and my best friend, Cara. No doubt she is worrying about me getting caught in the act, if the abundance of text messages is any sign.

The crowbar, superglue, and tub of pink glitter rests on Coach's desk. Out in the open for everyone to see, which only adds to Roman's animosity towards me. Heat radiates through my side as the piercing glare of the six-foot-two hockey player remains focused on the side of my face. 

His eyes are murderous, and I roll mine at his obvious annoyance at the situation of having been woken up to come down here at this time. His anger will only grow when a picture of him wearing pajama pants that are covered with bulldog faces sweeps through campus tomorrow.

My eyes find Roman's forest green ones as we stand mere feet away from one another, anger yet amusement flashing through them. Raising my eyebrow in a challenge, a smirk rises on my face and his jaw ticks with rage like a lion ready for a fight. 

A war of words that would no doubt take place if we were both not afraid of the outcome the Coach is going to come to. Biting my lip as I turn my attention back to the Coach's stone-cold stare. My mind races through the events that led up to this exact moment.

How in the hell did I end up in this position? Good question.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄

The Perfect Obsession updates begin! This is the first time I've written a prologue for my books so let me know what you think! Do you enjoy prologues or do you think they serve zero purpose?

Thank you so much for your patience! I know I uploaded the aesthetics and description of this book back in February but I only started writing the book offline in July as the start of the year I had lots of personal issues so I was unable to write. Thank you for getting the book to 20k with just the aesthetics chapter alone, I'm so happy you are all excited for the book and thank you for sticking around.

UPDATE SCHEDULE: Updates will be twice a week, every Monday and Saturday and for those of you interested Inkitt updates will be a week ahead so that will have two extra chapters each week.

Just want to give a quick shoutout to JessicaLouAuthor BecciAmy randomsweetstuff for beta reading the book for me, rubyranawrites for helping with the characters majors and Bridgette_Lawford for motivating me and being a great friend!

Any questions?

Any questions? 」