Prologue

'The mist was thin, it hung in the morning air refusing to let go. The streets were quiet as the city readied itself for another day. A young family sat together looking over the river, this was the only time of day they were all free. A group of ducks flew over causing the child to giggle with such glee. Then the black hummer arrived. Three men got out of it, each carrying something small and black. The father barked something; a bodyguard appeared and hurried the child away. Three loud bangs, a scream, a splash, silence.

The house was grand but simple; the family were more than happy here. The child sat playing with the bodyguard in clear sight. Another man entered, far older and more formal, he whispered something to the bodyguard, looked straight at the child then left.

Everyone was crying, she didn't understand why. The child sat with her bodyguard, she barely saw her father anymore. He was arguing with the older man, it looked intense but she couldn't make out the words. The father looked solemnly at his daughter, whispered something to the bodyguard then walked away.

Thechild took a last look at the gravestone, her mother's name carved in stone.Flowers littered the site. She was hurried away by the older man, the bodyguardalways three steps behind.'