Chapter 13 - Experiments

Time moved slowly as if taunting them, they were waiting for Major Bradley and his two men to return with their precious cargo of creature venom although were beginning to fear they wouldn't return.

Brooke, Drina and Roland had each given a pint of blood while Danny skulked behind them watching everything they did. Now Brooke sat dozing in a chair, she leant back almost taking the front legs off the floor.

"How can you tell if you're immune without getting bitten" asked Danny growing more and more agitated.

"A simple blood test" Roland answered quickly "take a drop of blood, mix with a little of the venom and if it turns black you're doomed, if it turns clear you're immune."

"And if it turns another colour" Danny pestered eager to find out what was in store for him.

"You're in trouble" Roland replied coldly.

"Simple blood test you say" stated boss man who appeared in the doorway, "well Danny it's time to put you to the test, follow me." Danny went very pale then reluctantly followed him out, the others hurried along behind them though struggled to keep up with boss man as he led them through the maze of corridors. They came to a large room which was split between three levels with interconnecting passageways. Marvelling at the sight of it Chloe quickly climbed up to the second level and looked down on the group, the lab technicians were not too pleased with her exploring while they worked.

"Roland you know what you're doing so all yours" boss man declared then moved away so Roland could take the lead, Roland stepped forward and looked over the group.

"Before he left Fenwick told me how to do this, so we will need as many vials as you can get me" he informed them and they all scuttled about looking for the items, he watched them with a strange satisfaction. A lab technician pointed them out to be right under Brooke's nose, blushing slightly she brought them back to the main table and then placed them into the various holders. "I need the creature venom" Roland told the technician then turned back to the group "we put the venom in first then add just a small amount of blood, that's all it takes, it's rather impressive really."

The technician moved slowly forward, his eyes fixed on the box he was carrying. He placed it carefully on the table then rushed away as fast as he could. They watched him go growing rather nervous especially when the doors slammed shut behind him.

"You understand that none of that can leave this room" boss man explained carefully. "While we are conducting this experiment nothing can get in or out, just another security measure. Not that anything will go wrong, right Roland?"

"Done right this should be fine, now everyone take a holder" Roland instructed then moved around the table till the box was in front of him.

The group gathered around the table and waited with baited breath as Roland opened the box to reveal the packets inside, picking one up he inspected it. Contained within it was a horrible orange liquid, knowing what it was made it all the more gross and unnerving.

"Do I even want to know how they got it" Chloe quizzed trying to avoid looking at it.

"Probably not" Brooke confessed unable to tear her eyes away.

"As long as you wear gloves it shouldn't affect you" Roland assured then warned "and for whatever reason do not put it in your mouth." He was looking directly at Danny who seemed offended at mere suggestion.

Putting on an apron and a pair of gloves Roland motioned that the others do the same then placed a packet of the venom in front of each person. They each took a holder making sure that all nine vials were not cracked; Saba almost fumbled hers but caught it in time to avoid any damage. She blushed slightly when she noticed them all looking at her, then thankfully the attention returned to Roland.