Chapter 8 - Journey To Nowhere

The girls rushed towards the rendezvous place only Danny wasn't there, Karen was quick to curse him and if like magic an engine roared. Everyone relaxed as the truck came into place.

"You had us worried there" Lauren told him once he had joined them at the back.

"What I'm insulted you think that of me" he mocked.

"I told you not to be late" Ashana scolded him then cracked into a smile.

"Will you just get into the truck" Danny said flustered. One by one they climbed back into the truck dragging in the new items they'd managed to carry out of the town. He eyed the newcomers with suspicion until his eyes met Logan.

"Logan, what you, I mean how did you find us" he squeaked out, Brooke watched the pair carefully.

"We were assigned to this town but my team got wiped out before they even got started" she revealed trying to act braver than she felt.

"You can tag along with us, I mean there's more than enough room" he expressed gesturing to the mostly empty truck. "If it's any consolation we just lost two of our people" he informed though had no clue how he knew that or was the fact he hadn't seen them reason enough.

"It's not" she stated climbing in without looking at him.

"You should leave me" stammered Aiden showing her wound, "I don't want to hurt anyone."

"Don't worry it's the bite that infects, not the scratch" Roland assured though it did little too "trust me I've had a long time to theorise this."

"But it still could" she whimpered.

"Here" he moved to her and hugged her, she felt something small stab her shoulder. She pushed him away, Roland moved away clearly holding a syringe. "Now you won't, you coming or what" he expressed with a sly smile, she grappled with her shoulder.

"What did you do" she stuttered feeling an odd tingling sensation starting in her arm then it spread throughout her body. Then it was gone as quickly as quickly as it had started, thinking nothing of it she raced for the truck and launched herself in.

Almost laughing Danny climbed back into the driver's seat, Brooke and Roland joined him. He turned the key and the engine roared to life, he looked briefly to Brooke as if needing her approval then they were off charging around the ring road.

"Does anyone know where we go" Brooke asked, she had been pondering this for a while and it was always there niggling at the back of her mind.

"We need to get to a command facility as fast as we can" Roland commanded though the others were wary, "the fate of the human race depends on us."

"Why what can we do" quizzed Brooke feeling insignificant once more.

"I need to get this to the relevant authorities" Roland barked over the noise of the truck, he held up a memory stick with his eyes full of hope.

"What is it" queried Brooke trying to raise the slightest interest; her mind was still on recent events and whether this was it for them.

"Hope" Roland declared absolutely.

"Right then" stated Danny shifting gear to speed up the truck, it lurched slightly then settled back.

Rain began to fall, slowly at first then falling as if someone was tipping an endless bucket. The wipers working at full motion struggled to keep the road visible through the screen of falling water and the tyres began to slip and slid as the roads became even more treacherous.

"Is it always like this in Britain" Roland quizzed looking glumly at the cascade of water, even though the weather in America had gone haywire he had never experienced something like this before.