This Idiot Burned Down the Christmas Tree

Kara was a danger to herself when she didn't have her powers, but she could be a danger to others when she did. And she wasn't just talking about her strength, or the dangers that her alter ego brought.

No, the dangers were when she was being just Kara.

-SG-

Fourth of July

"It scared me the first few times," Kara said, looking up at the sky. She could smell the burgers J'onn was making. She could hear the chatter of her friends around the yard. She turned to look at Lena, who was just watching her. The two were laying on the grass, side by side. (Lena was reluctant at first, but Kara's pout convinced her.)

"The sounds?"

"When my parents were putting me in the pod, all I heard about was the explosions. And the first time I heard the fireworks, I felt like I was back in Krypton. I had a panic attack. It was the first time Alex saw me as a damaged girl, not just an alien ruining her family," Kara said, looking at Lena, a soft smile on her face. "Popcorn had the same effect. I hid under the table and Alex just sat with me and we ate popcorn."

"What changed for you?" Lena asked, her voice soft, soothing Kara from within.

Kara smiled. "Alex let me light up my first firework. Knowing that I set it off helped me rationalize it. It was a journey, but I got through it. Eliza also made ear buds to block out the sound if it gets too much." She reached into her pocket and took them out, showing it to Lena.

"Burgers!"

Kara turned her head, her eyes wide. She quickly stood up and pulled Lena up. The two rushed to J'onn, laughing. Kara grabbed her plate and J'onn placed four burgers on the plate with a head shake.

"Leave some for us!" Alex said, glaring at the older girl.

Kara smirked at Alex. "J'onn loves me more."

Alex narrowed her eyes. She was about to grab one of Kara's burgers, but the Kryptonian licked the burger Alex was reaching for.

"Ew!"

Kara tossed her head back and laughed. She sat at the table and waited for everyone to sit down before trying to shove the burger into her mouth. Lena rolled her eyes, but Kara just beamed.

"Are we setting any fireworks?" Nia asked, looking at the adults in the group. (Everyone except Kara, who started to choke on her burger. Brainy started to slap her back.)

"J'onn bought some really cool ones," Alex responded, shooting Kara a glare.

Kara inhaled deeply, before she continued to eat happily. She loved J'onn's cooking. It was great. She hummed to herself while she took another bite.

"The children aren't allowed to play with the fireworks without supervision," Kelly said, a teasing smile on her face.

"Who are the children?" Brainy asked, a frown on his face.

"Kara-"

"Wha?"

"-Alex-"

"Hey!"

"-Nia-"

"Fair enough. I don't trust myself with it either."

"-and Brainy."

The Curon frowned, a confused look on his face. "Why me?"

"I know you're responsible, but I don't want you to accidentally burn your face," Kelly said, a smile on her face.