11. Espresso

18 hours later, Jaiden was at his desk with his head pressed against the cool surface. The papers were starting to pile up and the numerous espresso shots were no longer helping.

"Fuck." Jaiden said quietly as he was reading through the report that he had read three times before. The case was a mess with no leads. It was only a matter of time before it caught the attention of the media.

An adored wife and mother who often volunteered for her community was murdered in her own home, mutilated, and posed as the Lady of Guadalupe.

The blood reports showed that while much of the blood was her own, the majority was lamb's blood. The autopsy revealed that she was drugged and rendered unconscious. However, she died of multiple stab wounds. The other wounds were inflicted after she passed, which made them somewhat grateful because at least she wasn't tortured to the extent they thought. But they confirmed that a knife was slashed across her eyes and the wound was so deep it etched into the orbital bone. A nail was pierced into her tongue. Her hands were cut off with a saw, but they have not been able to recover them from the crime scene.

They feared that this was a trophy for the killer. And if it was a trophy, then there was a high probability that the killer wasn't done. This may just be the beginning.

They had interviewed neighbors and her husband who was inconsolable. Jaiden ended up with their six-year-old son at his desk as he tried to comfort him.

The boy ended up falling asleep in his arms as he hummed the song that Toni was singing in the kitchen the day before.

He has been around his age when he lost his own biological mother and remembered how confused he was while his father was lost in mourning. When he lost his father at 14 years old, he was exhausted and angry. Then he completely fell apart when he lost Carlos.

Loss was unbearable no matter the age. All he could do was show a little kindness to the confused and lonely little boy.

At the same time, he kept fighting with his own emotions. He was struggling with his own memories and couldn't shake the sorrow that kept creeping up.

"What time is it?" Jaiden's voice was heavy. His migraine had fully taken over hours ago.

Toni looked at his watch. "3:00 in the morning.... I think it's time to call it a night."

"I'll grab a bunk here. My head is about to split down the middle."

Toni gave him a sympathetic look. "That bad?"

He rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Nothing that some darkness and Vicks can't cure."

Toni laughed. "Let me take you to my place. I have both of those things and I'm fairly close."

Jaiden was going to protest, but the thought was exhausting. Also, Toni's bed seemed more than tempting. "Deal."

They both were tired and stumbled out of the precinct, garnering looks of pity from the officers who had the early morning shift. Sometimes they did not envy a detective's life.

Jaiden knew his motorcycle would be fine at the precinct and decided to go with Toni in his car. Not that he could drive in this state anyway.

Toni drove to the familiar home and helped Jaiden out of the car. He held his hand as he led him through the house to the bedroom. Toni was gentle with his movements and helped Jaiden out of his holster and shoes. He then made Jaiden lay down on a bed while he stepped away from a moment.

He came back shortly and massaged some Vicks along his cheek bones and up to his temples. Jaiden gave an appreciative hum as he felt Toni's fingers running along his face coupled with the cooling sensation of eucalyptus and methanol.