19. Merlot

****A quick warning, there will be graphic/violent scenes in this chapter****

The following morning, Toni and Jaiden were curled up on the couch together under a blanket and sipping coffee. The fireplace brought the perfect warmth as the morning news played in the background. Toni's fingers would curl in Jaiden's hair absentmindedly as they talked. 

After his run-in with Billy, Jaiden had decided to reveal his bad luck with men to Toni.  Jaiden was running full throttle into this relationship, and he wanted to be open and transparent.  

"I think you purposely chose the worst possible men, mi sol." He said with a laugh.

Jaiden grinned. "Well, it was easier that way. Relationships and commitment are intimidating."

"Are you intimidated with me?" Toni asked.

"I'm fucking terrified." Jaiden laughed. "I did try to run away from it."

Toni raised an eyebrow. "Do you think I'll be like one of those cheaters?"

Jaiden shifted to lay down with his head resting on Toni's thigh. He smiled as he looked up. "I believe I told you that I'm bad luck. I'm afraid of how I could fuck it all up."

"You think you have bad luck, but my luck is quite extraordinary, so I think we balance each other out," Toni said with a shrug.

They both paused when Toni's cell phone rang. He frowned as he answered it. His discontent deepened as the person on the other line spoke to him.

"Understood. Ryder and I will be there shortly. Text me the address."

Jaiden gave him a concerned look and sat back up. "Was that the station?" He asked when Toni hung up the phone.

Toni nodded. "They found another body."

"Fuck. Same M.O.?"

Toni nodded. "Seems like it."

They both knew it would be another long day, so they dressed comfortably and left.  

The two of them were inseparable during the week, so the officers were used to seeing them together, so arriving together on the weekend was not a surprise.

An officer approached them quickly. "Morning, Detectives." They nodded back, and the officer continued. "We got a call this morning asking for a wellness check on the possible victim. His identity has not been fully verified, but we believe it is the resident of this home, Jacob Calloway. 28-year-old male and Ethics professor at the university. He and his wife were technically separated, and she was staying at her parents' home when this occurred, making him the only one in the house. No sign of a break-in or struggle."

"Cameras installed in his home?" Toni asked.

"We're looking now. He had one on his front door, but we have a feeling the person who did this did not go through the front." The officer explained. He shuddered involuntarily. "He's been there for a while."

Jaiden groaned. "This is not going to be pretty."

Toni patted him on the back. "How's your stomach?"

"A hell of a lot better than last time. Let's go."

They were instantly choked by the metallic smell and the disturbingly putrid smell of rotting meat when they walked through the front door. Most of the officers had to stay outside the room or the house. Their pale faces were telltale signs of how bad the situation was. Even the techs, who dealt with this sort of thing often, looked ill.

Jaiden saw Nate leaning against the wall with his hand on his chest.

"Nate?" Jaiden called out.

Nate turned and gave him a helpless look. "Hey..." his voice was a little strained.