20. Mexican Hot Chocolate

Jaiden had fallen silent on the phone with Valeria as he recalled his last case with Carlos. He knew he was grasping at straws, trying to find the similarities between the two cases. Perhaps it was too close to the anniversary of Carlos' death. Or maybe it was because he was frightened of the similarities.

"Mijo? Are you ok?" Valeria asked. It seemed like she called out to him a couple of times.

He leaned against the porch's railing and released a breath he didn't know he was holding.

Terrance is dead.

"Yeah. Just thinking about this case." He answered quietly.

He shot Terrance in the neck.

"I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it." He continued.

He watched Terrance bleed out and die.

"Jaiden..." He didn't realize how strained his voice was until Valeria called out to him.

Terrance is dead.

He tried to bring himself back to the present. "Sorry, tia. Just distracted."

She clicked her tongue. "Do you face thingy on this damnable phone?"

He groaned. "It's called FaceTime, tia. It's dark where I am, so it won't work well."

"Jaiden Ethan Ryder, you will do the face call this instant." Her voice was stern.

He grimaced when he heard her saying his full name and didn't bother with correcting her again. He let out another groan before standing under the porch light and switched to a video call with her.

He saw her face light up the screen. She was in her robe in front of her fireplace, and her face was a little too close to the camera.

"Oh, mijo, you look terrible." She said with a frown.

"Terrible? You used to say I was handsome." He grumbled.

"Don't sulk. You have bags under your eyes and hair... Dios mío, it's a mess." She complained. Jaiden didn't mind her candidness. It was something that was part of her charm.

He ran his hand through his hair. "I haven't found a barber."

She pursed her lips. "This case you're working is difficult, isn't it."

He knew she wanted to do the video call to gauge his expressions. She was married to a detective for a long time and helped raise another. She knew certain tells, and he knew that he couldn't lie to her.

"Yeah... it's a tough one." He answered, not willing to look her in the eyes.

"Are you being safe?" She asked, her eyes revealing the deep concern she held for him.

He nodded. "I am. I promise."

She hesitated before her next question. "Are you handling this case by yourself?" It was the question she always asked. She had hoped that he would find another dependable partner, but he was always stubborn.

He felt a tug at the corner of his lips. "No. I have a partner for this one."

She sighed. "You really shouldn't be doing this alone... qué?" She realized what he said a moment too late.

He laughed. "I'm not working this one alone. I'm actually working with-"

He stopped talking when the porch door opened, and Toni peeked out. When he saw Jaiden, he smiled. "It's cold outside, mi sol. You should come in."