Chapter 32

Alison snuggled closer to Alex's side. They had sat on the blanket once again staring at the city in comfortable silence. A blanket was around both of them. Alex had one of his arms around Alison and was holding her hand with the other while drawing circles on the back of her hand. Their heads were leaning on each other.

"It was a wonderful night. I'm happy that you made it." whispered Alison and glanced at Alex as she felt him straighten his head. She saw him frowning. "Today when Mason left suddenly and Marisa said it must be because of Volkov, I was afraid you leave as well."

Alex looked back at the city. "I'm not gonna lie." he said and Alison regretted talking about the subject as she saw him scowl and clench his jaw. "I would have gone with them If they didn't believe that I'm still underage." He said and turned to Alison and his eyes softened. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead. "But It doesn't mean I didn't want to be with you tonight. For me, it's not an old feud for taking revenge. Now, you are engaged as well. You have been attacked once. I can't sleep at night knowing that you are in constant danger. The sooner we kill Volkov the better."

Alison took his hand in hers and looked at him worriedly. "Don't put yourself in danger because of me, please." she said. "I can't bear if anything happens for you because of me."

"It's too late now, love. I would go to any extent to protect you." he said and looked away and his eyes became cold. "But it's not only because of you. It's because of Harrison as well."

"Harrison?" asked Alison confused.

"My brother." answered Alex.

"I didn't know you have a brother." said Alison surprised.

"Had," corrected Alex and looked back at now frowning Alison. "I had a brother. Vladimir Volkov killed him."

Alison gasped and put a hand on her mouth. "They were three friends." said Alex. "Harrison, your stepbrother, Mason, and Ben Williams. They were inseparable. Like you and your friends."

Alison put a gentle hand on his arm. "Alex, you don't have to tell me. It's alright." she said softly with sad eyes. Her heart clenched as she saw his painful eyes. 

He shook his head and continued. "I want you to know." he said. "They were 18 when that incident happened. Maybe you don't know, but Albert King's wife did not die of childbirth. She was heavily pregnant with the little twins when Volkovs attacked them and she was shot. The doctors could only save the twins."

Alison was shaking a bit now and was breathing hard. She was scared and shocked. Only god knows what kind of sorrow and pain the other King men had gone through at the death of their mother and wife that way. 

"Mason who was 18 at the moment didn't take it well." continued Alex. "He was more hotheaded that time. Afterward, the Kings attacked Volkoves and killed their leader, Vladimir's father, and destroyed their mafia, but Vladimir and a few of their men ran away. Mason, Ben, and Harrison found his lair one night and stupidly attacked him themselves, without waiting for backup. But Vladimir who was five years older and had more experience than them in mafia matters overpowered them. The three of them were on the verge of dying, but Harrison was the worst with a bullet wound on his chest. So he ushered Mason and Ben to run away and dragged Vladimir with himself into the ocean." he paused and clenched and unclenched his fist. But then felt a small and warm hand taking his hand reassuringly. He brought Alison's hand up and plant a kiss on her knuckles. "Harrison died that night." he continued. "His body was found a few days later on the shores, but there was no sign of Vladimir. We all were thinking that he has died. My father never forgave Mason and Ben. So did Mason. He never forgave himself and became the cold man he is now."