Chapter 4

Hunter stood at Grace's doorstep and rang the bell. After thirty seconds, she answered it.

When she saw it was him, she narrowed her eyes, "What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you." He really hoped she didn't slam the door on him.

She crossed her arms, "I already heard your explanation. So go."

He decided to stand his ground and man up, "No."

She raised her brows, "Excuse me?"

"I said no."

~~~~~

Okay. So he wasn't going to leave. She wasn't sure if she liked that or not. Macho man or stubborn dude? She decided on macho man. What did he even want? He wanted to talk to her. About what? She had no clue. He had already told her everything she wanted to know.

"So you're not going to leave."

"Nope." He crossed his arms, "I'm stubborn."

A grin popped out. Darn. Now he would know she wasn't mad at him. Well, she still was.

Wasn't she?

"Fine. Be that way. But just come in." She praised herself for how bossy she'd sounded.

"Okay." He stepped inside and watched her close the door. "Grace, why did you leave?" He blurted.

"Do you have to know everything?" She snapped. "Can I ask you a question?" Without waiting for a response she continued, "Why do you care what I do? Why are you here? And why, are you willing to shoot a man for me? We are supposed to be friends. Co-workers. Acquaintances."

His response was not what she had expected, "Because I care about you."

"Oh." She had to admit. She liked the sound of that. But she would not let him know it. She was going to play hard to get. Her mother always taught her that.

And she could finally put that skill to use.

~~~~~

Oh? That was her response? Oh? Two can play that game. "Okay then."

Her blank stare earned him a point. "If that's all you needed to say, then..." There went his point.

"I'm going to go." Yeah, that sure didn't earn him a point.

"Okay then. I'll be working from home for the rest of the day." Okay now she turned all businesslike. "Aren't you supposed to be on leave for killing someone?"

Woah. Tone it down a bit. "Yeah, but I convinced my boss to let me work."

"Sounds good." She opened the door for him. He stepped outside.

"See you around then."

"Sure." And she closed the door on him.

He decided he hated this game. Why can't she just fall for him?

~~~~~

Grace closed her door and let out a breath. That went well. Ish. She pulled out her laptop and decided to look for more information about John Sills. After an hour had gone by, a knock interrupted her searching. She stood up and before she could open the door, Olivia came in. "Hey."

"Hi Liv."

Olivia threw herself onto Grace's couch. "Can I hide here for a while?"

Grace laughed, "What do you mean by hide?"