Chapter 6

Grace was at a loss for words. She just stared. Hunter was being weird. This whole thing was weird.

A paramedic rushed by her. "Oh no. Get the defibrillator! This isn't good."

Grace heard a familiar voice, "Coming!" Nicole ran by and gave her and Hunter an odd look.

She ignored it.

Nicole let out a gasp. "Oh dear."

Grace moved to see what they were gasping at from behind the counter. Hunter grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "No. You don't want to see."

She closed her eyes. Gory images blipped in her mind.

Her eyes jolted open.

She found Hunter staring at her. "Grace, you need to get out of here."

She let Hunter pull away. Great, so the tough woman thing didn't work. Why did she have to be so stupid?

Nicole ran by with Katie on a gurney.

Grace slumped against Hunter, "No. Katie..."

Hunter supported her with his arm, "We need to leave."

She didn't care much anymore. Yet again she got someone hurt. Because of her job. Poor Katie was only in high school. Her mom wouldn't be able to pay the hospital bill. Katie had just been promoted. Everything was her fault.

Before she knew it, she was sitting on her couch drinking coffee while Hunter did something on his laptop. She sipped the coffee. "Woah."

He looked up, "What?"

"Your coffee is almost as good as Cole's."

He grinned, "I'm a natural."

"Any chance you'll make me another cup?"

Laughing, he stood up, "Only if you agree to help me work on the case."

"Fine. Whatever. Just go make coffee." She grabbed her laptop from the coffee table. "What exactly am I supposed to be doing?"

He handed her a steaming mug, "Look for people who might want to get revenge on you for John."

"But I didn't kill him."

He shrugged, "But they're not targeting me. So get to work."

"But it's not my fault. I was trying to stop him from getting killed."

"But, but, but. It doesn't make sense. And if you think it's not related to that case, then start making a list of enemies you might have."

She gave a cold laugh, "That list will be long."

He set a hand on her arm, "Hey."

She looked at his hand, then his face. "What? It's the truth. You know how many people I've locked up. I bet they are scheming right now how to kill me."

He flinched. What was that about? "Don't talk about that." He whispered.

She cocked her head, "Why? It's not a lie."

Hunter closed his eyes. "Just don't talk about that."

"Is there something you're not telling me?"

He didn't say anything.

"Hunter, tell me. I'll listen." If he cared about her like he said, he would tell her. And if she wanted to figure out if she cared about him too, she was going to need to know important things.

When she gripped his hand with hers, he took a breath. "My dad was a cop. He was really good and put a lot of people away. But all those people wanted revenge. And one guy got let out. The first thing he did was get revenge on my dad. He killed him. And my Dad never took the fact that people wanted revenge seriously. He always joked about it. And then he died..."