Chapter 8

Three hours later Grace and Hunter walked into Colorado Springs main office. Paige met them up front, "I heard about your crazy day yesterday. I hope you're alright!"

Grace smiled at her, "I'm fine. One little death threat won't bother me." She saw Hunter flinch, but she didn't care. That was what he got for asking to kiss her.

Paige went wide eyed, "Grace! You could have died yesterday if Hunter hadn't been there."

She looked up at Hunter and their eyes met, "Yeah, I guess so."

"Well, I'm thankful that you didn't die. What would I do without my partner?" Paige gave her a squeeze and then bounded off.

Grace waved at her. Hunter glanced at his phone. "One of my buddies, Damon Stewart is coming by to help us with Marie."

"Is he your partner?"

He shook his head. "Nah, SWAT members don't have partners. But he's one of my best friends."

"Oh. That's nice. I think."

Hunter laughed and motioned for her to follow him to the interrogation room. "So, Marie will be here in about ten minutes and Damon should be here any minute."

As if on cue, Damon stepped into the room. "Hey buddy."

"Hey man." Hunter and Damon exchanged a hug.

Damon turned to Grace, "And you must be Grace Wagner."

~~~~~

Hunter felt a little green eyed monster inside him when Grace's eyes lingered on Damon. Even he had to admit it. His friend was gifted in the looks department. Naturally, women were attracted to him. It was also no wonder that he was single. They only liked him for his looks. And he had a great personality.

"Hunter?" Grace interrupted his thoughts. "Hello? Earth to Hunter?"

He blinked a few times, "Sorry."

Damon quirked an eyebrow, "We were just discussing that Marie just arrived and will be here soon."

He nodded, "Right. Good."

They took their seats in the room. He noted that Grace moved to sit next to him with Damon across from them. The little monster disappeared. Five minutes later, Marie Sills entered the room.

She was pale and shaky. Clutching her purse like it was the only thing keeping her alive, she took a seat. "He-he-hello."

"Hello Marie. How are you today?" Grace asked.

"As good as I can be." She barely managed to squeak it out.

Damon sat in a less threatening position, "Marie, is it okay if we ask you a few questions?"

She nodded, her eyes wide.

Hunter started to say something, but Grace set her hand on his arm to stop him. "How are your kids doing Marie?"

She sat up straight, "Well. They are sad, but they are going to their grandparents next week. They live in Florida. Lucy is ecstatic." As Marie continued to babble on about her kids, Hunter realized Grace hadn't taken her hand off his arm.

Damon noticed too and wiggled his eyebrows at him.

Hunter also noticed that when Marie was talking about her kids, she didn't seem nervous. "Marie?" He asked after she finished, "Could you tell us if there is anyone who might want to get revenge for John's death?"