Chapter 12

Grace was glad for Hunter's help picking things up. Soon, everything was cleaned up and back to normal. "Thanks for helping." She told him.

    "No problem." With a glance at the clock he said, "It's getting late. Want me to sleep on your couch again?"

    No. She was not a baby. "I'm fine by myself. You run along and sleep in a real bed. I can tell you are tired."

    He gave her a look, "I'm not so sure about that."

    She returned his look, "I am. I have a top notch security system. Even the windows are wired. I would know if someone came in. And besides, I'm a grown woman. You can come by first thing in the morning if it makes you feel better."

    Hunter thought about it for a minute, then sighed. "Fine. But if you wake up in the night because of a nightmare or anything else, promise me that you will call me. Please."

    She leaned into his outstretched arms and rested her head against his chest. "I promise." She could have stayed in his arms forever. They were so strong, and comforting. But she needed to get some sleep. Pulling back, she kissed his cheek, "Now go get some sleep. We can work on the case tomorrow."

    "Okay." He made his way to the door, but his hand hovered over the knob. "Grace, promise that you'll call if you aren't okay."

    "I promise. Hunter, I wouldn't make you go home if I didn't fully believe I'm going to be fine. I'll put my security on high alert and lock everything. Okay?"

    He put his hand on the knob and opened the door, "Okay. See you tomorrow. Be safe."

    She smiled, "Yep. I will."

~~~~~

    He hated leaving her, but she insisted. Did he dare risk her anger by sending someone to watch her house? Nah, shouldn't risk being dumped. His heart didn't want to leave her, but his brain talked common sense into him. Grace was perfect. In his eyes at least. She was marriage material, and he, well, he wasn't. But he was willing to take the risk when it came to her. Boy, he would lay down his life for that woman. Tonight, when she leaned against his shoulder, his heart was full. Thank you God for bringing Grace into my life.

    Three weeks passed. Hunter stopped sleeping on Grace's couch, recognizing her need for privacy and independence. Everyone had been working hard to find out why Marie had made up Andy, but they came to the conclusion that she had done it out of fear they would come after her or her kids. Hunter now needed to figure out who was really after Grace, and fast.

~~~~~

    One night, Grace went to her room after her alarm was fully set. The house was quiet. She couldn't remember the last time it was like this. Hunter gave the house life. And it had only been six to seven months. Clearly, she had been falling for him earlier than she had known. She pulled on her pajamas and crawled into bed. Soon enough, she was asleep like a rock.

    Three hours later, she woke with a start. All was quiet. It was just a stupid nightmare. "Get a grip." Grace mumbled. She debated calling Hunter, but was already almost back asleep, so she decided against it.

~~~~~

    The house was quiet. Her alarm system was on. Of course it was. At least that SWAT guy wasn't there. Now the job would be a whole lot easier. The windows were probably wired, so they'd have to take a chance. Open the front door and take a chance disarming the system, or use the fancy new tool to cut open the window? The window idea was more fun, so that's the one that would be used.

    Creeping around to the living room a nice, large window sat. It was just begging to be cut open. It's go time. The silent blade worked through the window with no problem. The security cameras were easy to dodge. But once the window was open, they'd have to move fast.

    Things were about to get real.

~~~~~

    Grace bolted upright when she heard the alarm go off. "Oh no no no." She whispered frantically. Rummaging around in the dark for her phone, she sent up prayers. God, I could use a little help here. Faint footsteps could be heard from the hall. She didn't have time to call for help. She sprinted into her closet and thought up a plan. Now what?

    "Grace. I know you're here. Come out and this will be easy. Stay put and..." She heard the sound of a gun being loaded. The voice made so sense. She couldn't tell if it was male or female. They were obviously using a voice changer. "Grace. I know you are in the closet. Just come out. Also, drop the gun you're holding or I shoot."

    How did they know she was holding a gun? "Who are you?"

    Laughter rang out, "That is for me to know and you to find out. Now come out or I shoot. And if you wind up dead because you don't come out, I know of some family members and people you care about that would look good with a bullet in the back of their head. Especially that SWAT guy. Or your brother and his fiancé. Or maybe your sisters. Ooh, How about your parents? Or all of your family. Whatever works for me."

    Hunter. Her family. Chloe. No! "Okay. I'm coming out. Just don't shoot." She emerged out of the closet to see a figure dressed in all black with a black ski mask on. It looked like a shadow so she couldn't tell if it was male or female.

"Now come and stand in front of me with your hands up."

Grace did so and felt a gun press against her back. She stiffened. "Please, don't shoot."

"I don't plan to. Now walk out the door, disarm the alarm and go to the car in the driveway and sit in the driver's seat."

Grace did so, noticing the huge hole in her living room window. God, please. "Hunter." She whispered.

The figure laughed, "No one will save you."

Grace sat down in the front seat of the car. Her captor sat next to her and continued to hold the gun against her. "Now what?"

"Back down and drive to Marie Sills' house. You know the place."

"Marie Sills? She has children. We can't go there."

The figure, which now looked like a mere shadow shrugged, "We can shut them up easily. Now go."

Grace gripped the wheel and drove as slow as she risked to Marie's place. Dear God, please protect me. And Marie. And her kids. And send Hunter. Or Cole. Or Dom. Even Jack. I don't care. But hurry! Her captor stayed silent, but the gun never wavered. The clock on the dashboard read three thirty. Please Hunter, wake up early. Please.