Chapter 9

Hunter had dropped her off at her office and then went back to his own. They needed to do some work. Grace was lost in thought. She had kissed him. Impulse decision that she didn't regret. Hunter really cared about her and now that she realized he was a really good guy she liked him a lot too.

Paige came into the office, bringing her bubbly self in with her. "So?"

"So, what?" Grace pulled some papers off the printer.

Paige closed the office door and sat down in her own desk, which was across from Grace's. "Tell me about you and Hunter."

Grace ignored her and looked at her computer screen, "There's nothing to tell."

Paige groaned, "There is too. I saw the look on his face when he dropped you off here."

"Why do you have to be so nosy?" Grace grinned.

"How else am I supposed to know all the gossip around here?" Paige asked blatantly. "Come on Grace, there is something you're not telling me. I just know it."

"Yeah, well it's private." She mumbled.

"You guys kissed?!"

Grace gaped at her, "I did not say that!"

"But your 'Oh its private' did." Paige laughed, "I always knew you guys were perfect for each other."

"Whatever. Just don't talk about it to anyone. Okay?"

"Fine." Paige hmphed.

Grace smiled and went back to work. Although she didn't do much work. Thoughts of her kiss with Hunter filled her mind. He was a good kisser. She had to give him that. She also liked his explanation of helping a woman in need. It was awfully cute. "Get back to work." She reprimanded herself.

Thankfully, Paige didn't hear her. She was on the phone.

Talking gossip.

~~~~~

Hunter sat down at his desk with a feeling he couldn't explain. His insides were all flippy-floppy and his heart was in overdrive.

And that was only the least of it.

An hour later, Damon came and sat across from him, "Hey partner."

"Hey." He grunted.

"Woah. What's wrong?"

"You interrupted my thoughts."

Damon grinned, "Of that pretty looking negotiator?"

Hunter gave him a blank look, "Is it that obvious?"

"Yep. She grabbed your arm and held on to it. You looked like you were on cloud nine." Damon popped his gum.

"I wouldn't say that."

"I would. You're lucky I interrupted your moment there. Captain was heading that direction."

"How do you know we had a moment?" Hunter asked.

"That one's obvious too."

"Shut up man."

Damon just laughed, "Whatever. Just watch out. Her brothers can be scary. Especially the FBI agent. Did you see him when his fiance was abducted?"

Hunter gave a low chuckle, "That I did."

The man eased back into his chair, "That's good. So don't break her heart."

Hunter rolled his eyes and went back to searching for Andy. He'd have to do some digging but it would be worth it.

~~~~~

Grace sat pondering at her desk for what seemed like ages. Paige was in and out doing whatever she does best and so far she couldn't find anything on Andy Sills. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It was like he dropped off the face of the earth. Picking up her phone, she placed a call to Crystal, their tech guru.

"Hi Crystal."

"Howdy Grace. What can I do for ya?" Her western accent was thick.

"I was wondering if you could dig up as much information as possible on Andy Sills."

The sound of fingers tapping on a keyboard came through the line, "Sure. Is he the guy that you think is behind your threats and all?"

"That'd be the one."

"Hmm. Well okay then. I'll get to it. Y'all just stay safe and be careful. Keep that mister of yours close."

Grace clenched her fists. She knew Crystal meant well, but everyone told her to keep Hunter close. She could fend for herself just fine. Taking a deep breath she put on a sweet voice, "Thanks Crystal. I appreciate the help."

"Awe, no problem. Just doing my job."

Click.

Grace set the phone down, set her elbows on her desk and leaned her face into her palms. Why couldn't she be investigating a robbery or something? That was way easier. And then she wouldn't be babied.

Hunter's hand on her shoulder surprised her, "Ready to go?"

She lifted her head, "What time is it?"

Pointing to the clock, he smiled, "Six forty-five."

"Already?"

"Uh-huh. Now, let's go. I'm starving. Cole texted me and said he'd bring food by your place."

What? Cole had said that? Why wasn't she told? Yet another way that people treated her like a child. Sighing, she stood. "Okay."

Hunter looked perplexed, "What was that about?"

"What was what about?"

"That sigh."

"Nothing."

"Right. Nothing." He echoed.

Grace walked out with Hunter. Paige giggled at her and waved but she ignored it. All she wanted to do was get home, eat whatever food Cole brought and then crash on the couch, nightmare free.

She almost laughed. As if that would happen. She would probably be rocked, fed, cradled, played with, and have a story read to her before that even happened. She slid into the passenger seat of Hunter's truck and slammed the door.

Hunter gave her a look. "You good? Is there something you want to talk about?"

Grace closed her eyes. "No. I'm perfectly fine." She could sense that he thought otherwise, but kept her eyes closed anyways.

Fifteen minutes later, they arrived at Grace's front doorstep. She had noted the strange amount of cars in her driveway and was prepared for anything.